Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalguy2, Nov 16, 2005.

1. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Can I use the DI to plug into the input of another amp and play 2 setups at once?

woops wrong forum :-(

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    That is not really the intended use but in a way you could do that. DI boxes are not split boxes. You place the DI between the bass and your head. You use the mix(xlr) out on the DI to feed a mic pre, most commonly on a mixer. You could feasibly use the xlr out to feed a mic pre and then into a power amp and then out to a bass cab and effectively have two rigs at once, but there are easier ways to do it.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Moved to amps.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Radial's Tonebone line includes an active A/B/Y splitter. They also have one for tube amps, to keep a load on tubes. An amp with a pre out will fit nicely into another amp's power amp in, a time honored tradition for guitarists when PA gear was still suckin' in the '70s. A DI would be the absolute least favorable choice for this, in my opinion. I'd rather buy a Radio Shack adaptor and go that way than use a DI through a ton of adaptors to make it do something it's not meant to. For that matter, if your bass has a built-in pre, there's no reason a mono splitter from RS wouldn't work pretty well.

5. what is the purpose of the two amps at once? to get more volume, or to combine the tones of the two amps?

Like Jabberwock777 said, it is better to use the FX/pre send and connect it to the fx return/power amp in on the second amp, that way, you control the tone and input gain of both amps with the one amp's preamp section...