Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI questions...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DeepCalls2Deep, Jun 28, 2005.

1. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    Ok, So I play every week in my church, 2 sevices...

Unfortunately our sanctuary is an acoustic nightmare....
    Bullhorn shaped stage, low ceilings, and very little dampening.

To try and keep a balance between volume and a decent house mix, we have been doing our best to keep the stage volume at a minumum.... and this has lead to me going DI.

I am standing right next to the sub, and have a klipsch wedge monitor. It is not exactly what I would call great, but if I have to sacrifice, then I am ok with it.

My question is, what would be a good DI?

My first choice, is an Avalon U5, but unfortunately that is not in my, or the churches budget at the moment. ( i know they could afford it, but its not a priority for them.. so... yeah...)

So, I guess I need a good, easy to use, tube DI, that wont run me or the church an easy $500....

any suggestions?

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Sansamp BDDI

3. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    ok, so one vote for a sansamp...

anyone else?

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

SansAmp. Straightforward tone, no issues. You plug and it sounds good.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i have to play in a pretty bad church situation too. large lecture hall seating 200ish ceiling is low, stage volume must be minimal.

i've gotten by on a whirlwind imp2, and have also had good results with the Jensen DI on the back of my Aguilar db659, and the di in my old SWR IOD.

look at the radial j48, and L.R.Baggs paraacoustic DI, they shouldbe much cheaper than the avalon (less than half price) and sound very good

then againm the sansamp DI would do a great job for a sweet price

7. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    sansamp +2, kicks ass.....

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    SansAmp's good, you can use it bypassed and clean or dial in some tubelike grit if you like.

I like the Countryman DI's, I've used those in the studio with great results in the past.

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I get a lot of mileage out of the SansAmp BDDI, but if I wanted a great DI and wanted to split the difference between something like the Avalon and the BDDI (or didn't want.need the amp modelling in the BDDI) I would be all over the Radial J48 which is designed to be powered by 48v phanom, which would probably make your life easier. The JDV is really the bomb, but needs an external PS.

Not affiliated, just sharing the link

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Sansamp is a great choice. I use it in many of the same church situations you are in. Lots of good DI's out there. I have several, including a Countryman. The reason I like using the Sansamp in this situation is that it does give you some control over how you sound. I've used the Countryman in studio, and it is super. Just doesn't have any tone shaping, which in a less than stellar acoustic situation, leaves you totally at the mercy of the eq on the board. Worse case, if you don't have decent eq on the monitor send coming back to you, at least you can dial in a sound you like on the BDDI, send it and get that same sound back. I've heard the Radial but don't own one, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the choices mentioned above.

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The Whirlwind would be a worthwhile purchase simply as a near-foolproof backup. It's passive and has no tone-shaping abilities but it will pretty much work in any situation where you could have some kind of battery/powersupply/grounding issue with something else.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you want a tube, I have had good luck with an ARTS TUBE MP. It is a microphone preamp but works great as a DI for a bass. Basic and easy to use, only $70 at zZounds. Mine dosen't have the VU meter.

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1 on the Mic Pre-amp for Tube Tone.

I use a Behringer Ultragain 100 ($50), and it sounds pretty good.

I'm also tried the Pre-Sonus Mic Preamp, and also have had good experience with other ART products.

You can get a good, singal channel Mic Pre-amp for less than $200.00.

I use my Ampeg SVT-3pro as a pre-amp, then run the Mic Pre-amp out the Pre-amp send on the amp. I get my SVT tone from my head.

That wedge you got should be fine for monitoring. Alternately, you (and other members of the band) could invest in a 4-8 channel Headphone amp and go in-ear. I finally got my set together on Sunday, and it worked VERY well (ART 4-channel Headphone amp, SHURE e2's)

14. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I play in a very similar situation (a bit larger church venue tho), and use both a SansAmp (programmable) and a tube-based mic pre/compressor (ART Tube PAC).

I agree with others that the SansAmp is a great device. It gives me a really meaty, full tone. Mostly I use the SansAmp as a stomp box (instrument level output) instead of as a pre (line level output), and then into the ART Tube PAC for gain and compression. I guess you could say I use the SansAmp more as an amp/cab emulator and rely on the ART for drive and gain. I like the tube drive sound I can get better than the SansAmp's 'driven' sound. It's somehow less artificial sounding to me. YMMV!

That said, the ART Tube PAC does an excellent job by itself (with the SansAmp in bypass). I guess If I had to choose just one, I'd go with the SansAmp for it's EQ and tonal flexibility.