1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI signals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by runmikeyrun, Mar 29, 2009.

1. I am curious on the best way to get a DI signal to the FOH with these two rigs:

Rig one- Peavey Windsor w/ 1/4" line out

Rig two- pre/power combo. Use distortion pedal and effects-> art tube mp-> rack eq-> power amp.

I'm thinking for rig one i can just continue to do what i have been- let the soundguy plug his direct box into my 1/4" line out (it is hardwired right off the 1/4" to the speakers, attenuated of course). It seems to work ok.

For rig two can i just have him plug his XLR into the XLR out of my rack eq? I'm leery of him plugging into the XLR out of my Art pre because there's very little tone shaping before that point. If i give him the post rack mount eq XLR out it'll be a way better representation of my sound, but i don't know if that's going to screw up the 1/4" output to my power amp.

In both cases this is only if they refuse to mic the cabs, or in conjunction with a mic. I play with a lot of distortion and going direct right off the bass isn't an option.

Thanks guys.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. Fine.

2. Either or would work. You don't necessarily want the same EQ in the house as in your amp, so if the ART XLR out sounds better, use it. But if the EQ is truly an integral part of your sound, run the XLR out from it. It won't affect anything else. Just make sure whatever distortion you use is before the DI.