1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DI start of chain for clean to desk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by keatz, May 5, 2018.

1. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    How many of you guys run a DI preamp pedal at the start of the chain to give a solid clean signal straight to the mixing desk?
    Im thinking of going this route as it seems very beneficial. I just got an Orange terror bass head(absolutely loving it) which my long time beloved tech 21 vt bass deluxe surprisingly doesnt gel with to my ears, so im thinking why not still utilize it. Would give a solid ampeg flavoured clean to the desk and micd up orange for effected signal.
    I would also love to hear any relevant thoughts from other orange users if they use a preamp pedal.

2. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Personally I’d rather send the signal processed through my pedals as I want it heard to FOH. What happens if you use delay or chorus or another effect and it isn’t going to the board?

hintz, TonyP-, ccouch7 and 1 other person like this.
  3. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Yeah my amp is still micd up for that. I asked my sound guy whether hed prefer it pre or post effects and he said definitely pre. He doesn't like dirt through di as it square waves too much.

4. I'm about to say something very strange. In a way, Orange is the Apple of the amplifier world. Told ya. What I mean by that is much like Apple products won't even recognise competitor producte, Orange stuff tends to 'reject' equipment of lesser quality, to my ears.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    For the most part, as much as I know, most FOH don’t necessarily want a clean signal, they want a signal that’s not overly EQ’d and unusable in the house.

The TerrorBass has a built-in midscoop, as does your SansAmp.
    On the Orange, turn the bass and treble all the way down, and the mids all the way up.
    This is frequency flat. I know it sounds crazy, but try it.
    Then add the SansAmp and see how it does.

6. Very good point!! I figured it was a given to set your EQ flat but it's not as obvious as you would think.

7. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Especially with an amp with a very baked-in EQ.

I’ve used effects for years and never given a soundguy a pre-effects send.
    But i’m a tone surgeon; all my pedals are just 1 step removed from flat frequency or clean. So no pedal throws me too much out of the mix.

Spectre1966 likes this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If your using your amp to produce drive, the mic is the way to go...in this instance anyway. I don't believe the Terror Bass has any sort of line or DI out and I have learned that using a speaker level DI is a no, no for class D amps, so you really don't have any other option to capture the driven sound.

If your post effect signal presents too much of a square wave, maybe you should dial back the drive a bit. IMHO, the problem is probably too much fizz, which can be corrected with an LPF, high cut EQ or by using a DI with a speaker emulator. Another potential problem is your low end maybe be washing out because of excessive drive. Reducing drive and/or blending a high passed distortion channel back with a bit of clean signal are a couple of ways to deal with this problem...there are lot's of threads discussing how to use dual channel processing to get a good OD sound, and some pedals have parallel clean/dirty channels with blending built in.

IMHO, ideally you want to send the audio tech one channel that sounds great and provides consistent signal levels for every effects patch you use. It's really not very realistic to expect the audio tech to manage effects changes for you at the mixing board, unless you work with him/her regularly and perform the same songs consistently. Even then, IMHO, it's a bit much.

9. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The TerrorBass does have a DI.

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Not in the images I am looking at TB500 and TB1000.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Oh I see...it's on the side....IMHO, using a POST DI if the amp is used to generate OD is not a bad idea.

12. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Ok thanks for all the replies, ill try and cover everything. Ive read the article on bassgearmag about the terror eq section, bass and treble boost only and mid cut only, but thanks for the heads up anyway. It does have a DI but i have one of the early models with an extremely hot DI. I could invest in a di box with a - 30db pad as a fix. Ive got all the blending and keeping lows in drives all sorted im quite experienced in that area, i woyld never expect a sound engineer to fo my blending for me, although i have tge same guy do sound for us most of the time, but once again thanks anyway. My sound guy currently low passes the DI and has cab micd so could put the vt at the end of the chain and keep doing what we are currently doing. Ill just have parallel out on the vt to my amp and di will be getting the ampeg sim.

13. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    Back in the day when I ran a GK800RB all the sound guys hated me...your di is too hot I can't use it....so I picked up a passive di and mounted it in my rack....then they had a choice...raw bass from the passive or hot bass from the GK di. ...from that day on they all loved me.

14. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Is there a technical update to tame the overly hot TerrorBass DI? If not, perhaps a Shure A15AS (or similar) would cut the level enough. A15AS In-line Switchable Attenuator | Shure Americas

I like this particular pad because it is setup to deal with phantom power.

keatz likes this.
  15. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Apparently there is a fix for the di if you know how to solder, and i heard orange will give you the instructions. That was before it was discontinued so not sure about now.

Wasnex likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not me. I would never do that. If I did, then I know that most sound techs would only run the clean channel.

ccouch7, hintz, BrBss and 2 others like this.
  17. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    JimmyM likes this.
  18. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Never ever.

19. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I prefer to send one signal only to the sound person and it is post effects. If you send a DI and a Mic, there might be some phasing issues.

hintz likes this.
  20. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    The di being too hot is a common problem with amp di's as you are hitting the mic pre on the board with another preamp and since OP is running it into overdrive its real real hot. If you get the sound guy to run it into the trs line input on the board it usually bypasses the preamp on the board. A better solution for going di would be running a di with speaker sim from the fx send of your amp or you could simply get your sound guy to use a kick drum mic (ex akg 112 or shure beta 52) on your cab