1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI thoughts..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by D.Don, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I've got a Tech21 SansAmp Acoustic DI, and I dunno, but often when I connect it to my ad-converter for recording into the computer, I experience disturbance in the signal. Read about this a little after googling, and some peeps really hate the Sansamp stuff just beacuse the crappy DI. So, now I am lookin at things with Jensen transformers in (BBE DI-1000 and Radials DIs).

Anyone have experience or thoughts here? The bonus with the BBE is obviously the built in sonic maximizer, but apart from that?

Thanks.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe this one should belong in "Recordings"? MODS!!

D.Don

2. Huh... lots of people like SansAmps for their DI's. They are a very colored, even the acoustic equipment, but if that's your thing, you'll probably love it, but if not, you won't.

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    are you sure your ad converter is handling the signal well? and sure that the computer's input gain is not clipping?

i have both a sansamp bass driver di and a Jensen di in my db659 preamp, and while they sound very different from each other i haven't experienced any abnormalities with the signal when recording.

both those di's are solid as well, either is fine.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Could you describe the disturbance?
    Huh. I've seen countless posts from people who didn't like the tone, the mid-cut, the distortion quality etc. of the Sansamp circuit, but I've never seen a single post saying the DI didn't work well.

For other reference info, search here in FX and also in the Amps and Recording forums on the terms "Radial", "Countryman", "BSS", "Summit", and "Avalon".

5. The disturbance seem to show up when I use a transformer (psu) but not, or less, when I run it on battery, it's not really hearable unless I gain the signal in the AD lots, but if I do, it's more or less hum, even with the sansamp "ground" switched on, sounds terrible without ground, but with ground I assumed it should disappear completely?

EDIT: Just tested here, with battery again, actually, if I run it passive, there's no sign of that noise at all, it's dead quiet, and if I move "blend" to 100% input only in active mode, it more or less disappears as well (not completely though).

The AD works good its not overloading, and I have no problems with other pre's that I run in the AD.

Read some posts on gearslutz about this, don't have the refs here but there where some guys that recommended jensen and lundahl stuff instead.

Thanks for the other suggestions there!

D.Don

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have tried/used all the DI's you mention. I have a Radial JDI. Tough to beat in my opinion.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ha! I enjoy Gearslutz, it's a good forum, but they are almost all convinced that if any gear cost less than $2K USD or if it wasn't custom-built for them, that it sucks. :) That said, the brands I mentioned above are not so expensive.

8. Yeah, there's lots of em as well on GS, though there's a bunch of lowenders too, got me some nice converters for really nothing based on discussions there.

And yeah, the gear you mention is not floods of cash, though enough to want to make sure it's a good bang for the buck when I decide to purchase, and since testing stuff is not possible (music retail stores really sucks, at least here in europe, been living in many cities in about 4 countries, and same crap all over), all I have to go on is specs, and of course, forums.

;)

D.Don

9. What was your impression of DI-1000, and why did you in the end choose the one you did?

Thanks!

D.Don

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I own, and love for different reasons the following:
    Radial JDI (clean and bullet-proof)
    SansAmp RBI (SVT sound in a rack-mount box)
    SansAmp BDDI (SVT sound in a stomp-box)
    Avalon U5 (fat)

11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Radial JDI FTW!!

12. Thanks!

I am about to pick up the Sonic Stomp pedal, and a JDI instead, sounds like a more sensible solution.

[​IMG]

D.Don