1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI to Home theater powered sub?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by senorblues, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Wouldn't one of these 100 watt or so subwoofers add some real low end presence to your stage sound? Has anyone tried this?

2. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I dont think 100 watts would make an incredible difference and phasing issues and the like may clutter up your sound more.

BUT. Theres only one way to find out and I think you know what it is. So if the sub is available to you right now. Try it.

I am curious as to the results

3. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    ive got a 100w powered sub from a old surround sys that i dont use any more,took an old 15w amp with blown speaker my kid had and ran it into the sub. makes a decent little practice amp but couldn,t see it being any use in a gig situation.

4. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Try the Yorkville NX series PA 200 watt 10" sub or the very similar Roland KCW-1, in addition to your regular rig. Place it at the back of the stage, facing into a corner.

5. I'm thinking the cheaper running shoes. That Yorkville is almost $500

6. If you are backing away from a $500 theater sub I won't tell you what I used, but it was awesome. Cheap subs just don't have the Xlim to be any help.

7. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I just posted about using my computer speakers to jam with a couple gui****s, a uke, and banjo! I'm not gonna throw stones! My rig was only 40 watts total! Use what works for you. If you blow up a home theater sub, you're not out much. Just be prepared.

8. Cree

Cree

May 24, 2004
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    I put a 1/4 jack in a non-powered home theater sub and I use a Crate Powerblock with it. It sounds pretty good.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. Home theater speakers are for home theater.

10. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Almost every decent HT sub has a adjustable crossover that wont let anything above ~500hz through. Dont waste your time.

<--- installs $50K+ Home Theaters for a living.