DI users only:Do you use your amp's DI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Jul 13, 2005.

1. If not, what(DI)do you use?
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    At gigs where I use a decent PA and they mic I always have them go through the DI so they can balance it out for their gear instead of working around my cab which might be throwing a fit that night.
  3. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    I don't use my amps, I have a Hartke. I tried to use it in the studio and couldn't get rid of a hum. Had the same problem at a club once so no more. I use my Sans Amp BDDI as my DI. I just run a little into the board for a more solid mix, and keep my stage volume up.

4. Is that your amplifier's DI or a separate unit? The reason I ask is that I don't very often see people using the DI on their amp, although 99% IME use a separate DI(as opposed to micing the cab). So the question is 'amp DI vs separate DI box', not 'DI vs mic'.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I usually use a countryman because I haven't come across a soundman that realized all the control for GK volume levels is at the board, and he keeps running on stage turning my stack down wondering why I'm still booming over the PA.
  6. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I use the amp DI. My old Hartke had a nasty hum so I had them mic the speaker but my Sunn is just dandy with no hum so I use that now.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I use my iAmp's DI or the one is my Ashly preamp most of the time. If the sound guy wants me to use his though, no worries. Usually that means a Radial passive, but sometimes a generic cheap Horizon or whatever. I built one from the schematics on the Jensen website that's very similar to the Radial. It's in an ugly box, so hopefully no one will steal it. :cool:
  8. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    I use a Radial JDI or Bassbone. I`m very fond of my JDI passive DI.
    Great headroom and build like a tank. It`s my best gear investment
    the last years
  9. I use the DI on my SWR 750 + a mic. Sounds good, and the engineers are happy. I'm sure there's better DIs out there, but this is working for me, and I really think you have to move into the Radial JDI/Avalon U5 area to get better DI sound, and most of the time that difference might be lost on poor acoustics or simply poor PA.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm lucky to have an excellent soundman who is present at 99% of our shows, and I use the DI on the back of my Eden Navigator to the board. He prefers it over a dry send to my Radial DI. I run the pre-EQ send, though, so he doesn't have to compensate the EQ that's compensating for my cabs onstage EQ requirements.

Occasionally there will be a rare ground buzz at some venues that we can't isolate. In those cases, its Radial DI's . . . but its rare that we can't track it down and cure it otherwise.
  11. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I do not particularly like my Ampeg B2R (which is almost sold)....

..... I have to admit, the DI functions very well. I had my head before I had my cabs, and what I did was plugged the DI into my Mackie PA... and it sounded pretty good, for a standard amp DI.

However, if I was running the type of rig I wanted, and was in a touring situation... you better believe I'd have a Sansamp or Aguilar (doesnt hurt to dream) DI chillin somewhere near my rig. Amp failure sucks.... but if you've got a DI, you can at LEAST get through a gig if something happens.
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    My pre has both an unbalanced and a balanced output. The balanced out doesn't like to see phantom power, though. So I run the balanced out into my power amp and plug a direct box into the unbalanced ouput.

I have two direct boxes: an EWI active, and a passive one I built about 25 years ago that uses a very high quality Triad transformer.
  13. No.

I use an SWR Interstellar Overdrive, which will smoke if the FOH console hits it with +48v phantom power. Many of the lower end consoles, i.e. Mackie, have global phantom: all on, or all off. I have no intention of exposing my IOD to a careless console operator and smoking my rig.

I carry a Countryman Type 85 DI at all times. If the venue provides a DI, I use his. Otherwise, I use mine. I never use the DI in the IOD for the above reason.
  14. Useful information, all around.
  15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    A Demeter HBP-1 preamp is my main preamp for gigging. Since it's manual states that mixing boards with phantom power in excess of +48 volts will damage it, I use a Radial JDI MKIII D.I. box. In fact, I bought the JDI at the same time I bought my HBP-1. I've used it for 4 gigs, and the soundguys all seem to like it.

I can't say I'm very thrilled about the HBP-1's D.I./ phantom power issue. I refuse to use it's D.I. at all; which is a waste of money. IMO/IME there's no way to know for certain if the soundman has the board's phantom power turned off when you're on a stage doing a soundcheck.

- Art

Mr Demeter: Why don't you offer the same Jensen D.I. that you install in the VTBP201s as an option for the HBP-1?

Why don't you answer your emails and phonecalls? :mad:

(Sorry for the rant.)
  16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It wouldn't be too difficult or costly to make preamp DI outs immune to phantom power, if the manufacturers wanted to do so.
  17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It's all good, let it out my man!!! Get it off your chest!! That's why we are all here!!
    I usually get by with my SWR's or VTB201's DI, they are both effective. If I am told to use something else I use it, and keep smiling!!
  18. I always use the DI out of my BBE BMax. I've never had a
    soundman say he wants to put another DI in my signal chain
    instead. Once they know I've got one on my preamp, that's it.
  19. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I always use the DI out of my GK 1001RB. It's nice and quiet, and I have had no hum problems with it.
  20. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I USED to use the DI out on my Ampeg or SWR, but now I just haul around enough bass gear to level whatever venue I'm playing :D

Seriously though, since I started providing a PA and running a lot of live sound, I've started carrying a separate DI to my own gigs out of sympathy for the soundman. The DI outs of so many different amps have adjustable gain, variable this, post that, and it ends up being an unpredictable mess in the usual rock-gig situation, since the bassist using his amp only knows what works with his setup, not yours, and possibly not even that much.

My BBE DI isn't up to studio usage, really, but it has a throughput for my own rig, and mic level signal for the guy up front if he wants it. I'm afraid my built-in DI's would just create a hassle and make it less likely I was heard out front as a result.