1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI -- Who makes a passive with all connections on one side of the box

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MNAirHead, Apr 26, 2010.

1. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I need a DI with all connections on one side of the box..

Meaning not left and right.. all along one end.

I've never seen one (except a peterson strobe)

Tim

2. MNAirHead

thanks.. hoping a TBer knows makes and models off hand..

I looked at pix.. this isn't as useful as "I own one" in this case.

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I don't believe you will find a small external passive DI that meets your requirements (the Behringer stereo DI has all connections on the top but I don't think that's what you're looking for). However, there are active preamp/DI pedals that do. Aguilar's Tone Hammer and Sadowsky's preamp/DI are examples.

Tube DI's like the Demeter have all the connections on the front as do some small mic pre/DI boxes like the ART MP Studio. However these are all AC powered and rather large.

4. MNAirHead

Thanks..

You're right.. a Behringer would not be optimal long term use.

Basically I have one complete Rolls PM351 setup.. it's mounted on a stand.

Until about 2 months ago EVERYTHING was 100% DI/IEM. I had a cab engineered for the church gig that downward fires and works with the wonky acoustics in the room.

We're setup 6 people.. about 40 feet accross... to help vocalists (I'm the only one playing on one side - vocals in the center), I was asked to have an reference cabinet back in.

Only reason is this black whole of sound physics vortex...

The cabinet is turned onto a whisper.

A PM351 does not have a through. To the Amp .. when using a Y Cord it cuts off the Rolls PM351

I haven't made time to call Rolls -- they're FANTASTIC folks

To make things worse I have a custom snake conctructed for the permanent setup -- it's super clean... hence the request for all of the connectors on one side.

I have considered using a Peterson Strobe.. they're kind of clunky to be stand mount.

Basses are normally active 5s, 6s and 7s.

Timmy

5. MNAirHead

6. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    I'll probably get the beatdown for suggesting this, but I'd recommend a Behringer BDI21. Its DI is quite good and it has all of the connections on one side. As a bonus, you can choose to dial in a bit of tubey goodness if needed or just leave it as a straight DI.

7. Your post (#5) is a bit cryptic, but it appears you’re trying to patch the signal from your bass to an outboard cabinet so that the others on stage can hear you?

The Rolls has two instrument outputs, either of which could be sent to an amp to drive your reference cabinet. Why would you need a splitter?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pedulla Club #45

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed--here's from the description of the Rolls:

9. MNAirHead

I'll try this..will need a Xformer to go from XLR to 1/4

I spoke to the engineers and they were scratching their heads abouit how to get a pass through going..

I'll test it -- thanks.

Tim

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    You won't need an xformer, all you need is an XLR-1/4" cable with one leg of the XLR shorted to ground.

11. MNAirHead

Unfortunately this is all in a custom loom.. snaking another wire through won't woprk (without spending hours redoing the loom.

=====

I'd do the low/hi inside the box.. unfortunately all of the plugs/sockets/pots are all direct to the board.

Thanks a ton.. gives a thought.

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Is there a spare unused 1/4" - 1/4" instrument cable in that loom?

13. MNAirHead

There's one that goes from teh tuner to the amp in..

My longer term plan would be to wire this..

=====

I tested each wire and connection individually --- all connected the Y going from the DI in to the tuner makes the DI cut out

This time I'll test it first.

====

Thanks .. I dig how you kids figured out the in your face easy solution.. this is almost embarassingly simple.

Tim

PS.. if anyone gets distortion from a hot/active bass through one of these units.. trim back your input (on the board all the way)..

The DI is very useable.. cool unit

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    In case the whole picture didn't appear to you, my idea was that all you need to do is chop one plug end off the extra 1/4" cable, and wire an XLR on there. Just connect one of the XLR signal legs to the cable shield.

15. MNAirHead

I get it (thanks)

Just want to test it.. had one misfire...