1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI with clean boost suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    OK I've got a semi-ridiculous situation and looking for a solution.

I'm working a job where the signal I'm sending to the board (only the board) needs to be hotter.

The level from the bass is fine, in fact it's fairly hot. The scenes on the console have been written already (i.e. the bass gain for each tune has been set and the soundman is too ummmm....occupied to rewrite them). So that level is set, the only way I am getting a hotter signal to them is to use the post send on my amp and then crank the gain. Of course, they would like a hotter signal still, so now I'm being asked to "play harder"

Yeah, it's as stupid as it sounds.

So, I need a DI with a decent amount of clean gain so I can send these fine folks a signal hot enough to melt things apparently.

My first though is a SansAmp Para driver. It offers 12dB of gain which should work, but before I get it I'm looking for suggestions here.

Criteria: clean gain (no or minimal coloration), XLR out & phantom powered, parallel 1/4" out, no rack mount

Ideas?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    MXR M81 nails what you're looking for. I think it's impossible to make it NOT clean.

3. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    Aguilar tone hammer is clean (if you don't use the AGS), and gets plenty hot

4. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
    A Tab V71 would melt the console for a fun, smug "I don't know man, you asked for a hotter signal" moment.

And it would sound fabulous. Best DI I've ever owned / played thru.

5. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    That might work, although its about the same price as a used SansAmp I'm looking at. From what I can gather if I use no EQ I can get max 10dB gain?

6. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Also could work. Can't seem to find any specs on the amount of gain and output level tho, do you have any info?

7. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    No doubt, but that's a bit more than I'm willing to spend to deal with this "situation" :D

8. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    I'm not sure of the exact dB but it can drive a power amp, and I have heard of people complaining of the DI signal being too hot for some boards...

9. How about the Radial Bassbone?

10. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Markbass SuperBooster. Has a couple of variable filters on it that are useless (IMHO) and easily bypassed, let's you adjust the gain up to +20 db (if memory serves) and has a DI out. You can pick one up for +/- $80, but you have to use a Markbass power supply (or something with at least 1500ma and 12 volts). Bought mine off the bay and it works great for solos, etc.

11. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    AFAIK, max 8dB clean boost and cannot be phantom powered.

12. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Interesting idea, hard to find tho. 14dB boost and no phantom power...a possibility tho.

Thanks for all suggestions so far, please keep them coming.

13. DI on the TH has a pre/post button, so if you go post out from there, you can dial up a really hot signal with that thing.

I did a similar thing a while back when re-amping a signal from a tape machine.
    Needed to pump that thing hard through the amp and I was at a remote location, and golly, the tone hammer did the job with flying colors.

14. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    A couple things.

First, I perhaps should have made this a bit clearer in the original post, but I need to send a hotter signal ONLY to the console. IOW, I need a DI with an XLR out that I can boost the output but also with an unaffected 1/4" out so I can send a duplicate of the bass output to the amp.

EDIT: modified post to clarify

Second, reading the manual, it seems like the ToneHammer boost would also affect the 1/4" out?

15. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    hmmm...yes you are probably right about that. that's tricky! you could get a simple boost/cut pedal to cut the 1/4" signal after the Tone Hammer? Although that seems a little counter intuitive...

16. +1
    i'm very happy with mine. it has boost assign options.
    bassbone-top-lrg.

17. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    It is.

The SansAmp will actually do exactly what I want, so I know that's a solution. I just wanted to tap the TB collective to see if there was maybe another unit I wasn't aware of that could do the same thing better or cheaper or both.

My hunch is that there really isn't anything (other than possibly the M81/M80) but I figured it's worth a shot.

18. seansv

seansv

Jun 19, 2011
    Philadelphia PA
    Passive DI and a Cloudlifter. Phantom power gets you 20 dB of the cleanest gain you are likely to find anywhere.

Edit: whatever DI you already have will work as long as it does not need phantom itself.

19. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    If phantom power wasn't a criteria the 3leaf Enabler might be the "cleanest" eq/Di available, it also has a pre/post switch for the xlr send. Pretty sure I've used it the way you need it to be used. Except it has to have a power supply, OH and it's an amazing headphone amp! Can use it to receive a monitor mix.. sorry if this doesn't help you, :/

20. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Apparently 25dB of gain :woot:. Intriguing idea, thanks. I'd still need a separate DI, but that looks like an interesting solution.