Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gverutes, Aug 20, 2002.

1. gverutes

gverutes

Aug 1, 2002
    I am sorry I am stupid, but what is DI?

I can't figure out.
    Gregg-

2. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    It means Direct In and it is like a preamp for use in recording. Shapes or simulates the sound of an amp and cab. you would plug your bass(or amp for some) into DI and plug the DI into the mixer.

3. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Also some DIs you can plug into the PA and not even use a rig at all.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Avalon U5 rules for this purpose. Also the SansAmp Bass Driver DI is widely used and respected.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    in the strictest sense, a di is an impedance matching device, either passive (via a transformer) or an active circuit, to enable a line level signal to be used at the mixing desk at mic level. they usually also have the ability to lift the ground, unbalancing the signal but helping to break/isolate potential ground loops.

any "tone shaping" done by the unit falls outside the purview of a di and is more the function of a preamp.

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

DI = Direct Inject

This is a device that takes the high-impedence, unbalanced signal from your guitar or amp and turns it into a low impedence, balanced signal that can go to a recorder, mixer or other pro-audio device.

Most basses send the signal that has a fairly high impedence and low output. (20KOhms for active and 500KOhms for passive, with signal levels from -25dB to about -10dB) It is also sent on an unbalanced line. In this situation, you will usually loose a lot of the signal quality over long cable runs. (A really good instrument cable is good for up to 20' or so.) This usually means loss of highs, lows, and signal strength. To prevent this from happening, we use a DI to convert this signal to a low impedence, 600 Ohm, balanced one. This signal can travel about 100' without noticeable impact. That is why a DI is used for running the signal to the PA. For recording, it is used because you want to preserve as much of the sound quality as possible.