1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diagnose: Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ganga, Sep 17, 2008.

1. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I got it too. I lost a lot of my hearing in my left ear (higher frequencies anyway) to go along with it.

Sucks because I was always pretty careful when playing in loud settings. But I got caught in a couple of loud situations when I was in the service where ear plugs wouldn't have been a viable option.

I've gotten pretty used to it, but it makes mixing down anything using headphones (or even wearing headphones for that matter) a real pain.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I use "Flent's Quiet Please" brand from the drugstore. They are great and cheap.

3. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Cool, thanks for the info. Alas, I am a poor college student, so the custom mold is out of the question until next summer, or if my parents are feeling generous. I guess Hearos will be fine until then.

4. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Hey Jeff.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. The reason why I never used protection was because it was terribly annoying and uncomfortable to use (as with all protection ;) ). I think getting these custom made would be the best way for me to go. Even though they might be expensive it'll be something I can enjoy for years and years - plus I get to keep my hearing.

Until then I WILL be using some cheaper hearing protection. I do not want this to happen to my other ear or worsen the damage to my right ear more. I've also put a dB limiter on my mp3 player to avoid going into the dangerous areas.

5. I have a mild case and its terrible in all honesty. I can't stand to be in a "silent" place, it drives me crazy. I also find it sad to think how I will most likely never hear what is considered true silence. But it all stops today, as i just picked up a pair of Flent's "sounds great!" plugs. They are rated at 26 decibels.

6. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    I have tinnitus as well.. I am used to it and it only bothers me when it is very quiet and then I hear a constant high pitched noise. I wish I had always used ear plugs..

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have a ringing as well. Until I read this thread I thought it might be both ear but now I think it might just be my right ear. Custom plugs are cheap relative to most pieces of hear that you have. I have them and they do take a bit of getting used to when you first where them. I wear them all the time when playing music unless its a quiet gig. I was shocked the last time I went to the local blues jam as to how loud the players were when I took a plug out. Put it right back in. Strangely enough I can actually hear people talking to me more easily with the plugs in when in a louder environment than with them out.

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Earplugs at every practice here.

Some people find it odd, I think it just makes sense.

9. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    hot dang, I'm getting a set today! Especially at small gigs -- standing next to some very loudly crashing cymbals is no fun when you're trying to sleep hours later.

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    or use vic firth isolation headphones.....

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I swear by these....

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/profmusearpl1.html

I have had the same set for 5 years. They are very durable and combfortable. I usually dont even notice I have them in. They lower the over all volume but you still hear all of the frequencies... just quieter.

I would recommend them to EVERYONE.

When I first started playing in a band, the cymbols were just way too painful to my ears. Earplugs are a necessity to me.

12. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    +1 not immensly commfy but you CAN hear the band better than any other cheap hearing production I've tried, and after a gig you pop them out and your hearing is just super sharp.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't have it permanently but I have had it last 24 hours after gigs. This is why I argued and ultimately quit my last band because they (Mainly the gui****s) just could not get it through their thick frikkin' skulls that there was no reason to be so loud onstage with a full, high powered, P.A.! I just couldn't take it anymore! With todays technology, there is no reason any band should have to be so loud as to cause inner ear damage! Sure Rock & Metal music are based on being LOUD but not onstage if you have a full P.A. supporting you! Sorry! It's a very touchy subject for me. I empathise with you! Take care of what remains of your hearing! Hopefully you will heal up!