1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

diagnosing iPod woes...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Apr 16, 2010.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have a 30Gb 5th Gen Video (2005). About last year, it started freezing in mid-song on me. Sometimes, a reboot will fix it, sometimes a total restore had to be done. But it hasn't done this is a while...until I bought a couple of albums on iTunes the other day. It started freezing up on me relentlessly and after I restored it, my iTunes kept giving me errors that it cannot sync the iPod and sometimes the iTunes won't even see it when plugged in. I even got messages saying that the iPod is "corrupt" and needs to be restored. Once I restore it and try to upload music, it would freeze up and go crazy. Last night when it was in freeze-up mode, if you held it in your hand and sort of turned it over, there was this really weird buzzing, like a light-saber sound coming out of it. But right now, it is restored and totally empty and seems to be working fine.

I'm guessing that the Hard drive could be screwed, but I'm not sure. Anyone have an issue like this? Could it be the main board doign this?

I have replaced the screen in it last year because I sat on it accidentally, so changing internal components isn't an issue for me....I just want to change the RIGHT component.
    I can get a Hard Drive for about $70 or so, and I'd like to save this one if I could, for the capacity. I have most of my CD collection on it and its not even half full.

But since this one is on the crapper, I had to buy a 16G NANO today...I need my music. If I stop listening to music and start listening to myself, I'd probably go crazy. I would be the voices in my own head.....

thanks in advance if you can give me some input.

2. Sounds like the drive is on its last legs. Not sure about how swapping the drive would work. New drive would not have the iPod OS on it. You might want to google around a bit before you drop coin on the drive.

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Yeah, I was thinking about the OS on those aftermarket drives....I'll send an email to the place that sells them and see what they say about it.

4. try iresq.com. They're a pretty great company local to me that do all sorts of Ipod fixes for fairly cheap.