1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dialing In DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Let It Fall, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Just got my DB750 but im partial towards it. How do yall dial in the gain? I have so far ran it at 12:00 but am not sure exactly where to place it, I tried pushing it till I got some breakup and then coming off it, but I don't seem to get any breakup with the active switch on.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    most amps with a passive active switch really should be run in passive unless your active bass is really really really hot.

with any amp generally you would want to set the gain just under clipping or compression on your loudest notes for the best signal to noise ratio.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The active switch is going to pad (reduce) the input signal and not drive the preamp section as hard.

I set the preamp gain based on what kind of sound I'm looking for. If I want to be pretty clean, the gain will be around 10-o'clock. If I want a bit of color/warmth, I usually have the gain around 2-o'clock. For the blues band I'm currently playing with, 2-o'clock on the gain and an old Fender P has been magical.

Congrats on the DB750. It's a wonderful beast! :)

4. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I run my passive J with the passive switch engaged and the gain at noon. Seems to give me the sound I like best. I've tried it with the gain set just under clipping, but, to be honest, I prefer it at noon. No audible difference in signal-to-noise ratio, even when recorded via DI.

Also, some think the poweramp in the DB 750 is more the culprit of hiss than the gain turned up.

Nice amp, though!

: )

5. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Yea I kinda knew that the active switch did that, I guess Ill just keep it in lassie and expirement.

6. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    One last thing. Keeping a good signal-to-noise ratio is a very different thing in the studio than on stage.

It's not always true that you ought to crank your mic preamp as hot as possible without clipping. In the recording world, where keeping the ratio as high as possible is a priority, you don't need to pass the A/D recorded signal through a D/A convertor, except for monitoring purposes. So you don't have to deal with power amps. Power amps, however, often produce more noise than a signal chain in recording. And so there is reason to think you might consider turning down the power amp if you can turn up the gain.

Truth is, like I said, that I haven't noticed anything changing in system noise -- and certainly not in any performance setting -- when the gain control is at 7 o'clock or 5 o'clock. So I don't think it makes much of a PRAGMATIC difference.

IMO.

7. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Yea I just need to play around with it a bit more, it's just that when I was playing with the gain it didn't react to what I was used to, a over driven sound but it kinda changed the eq in a way I can describe..

By the way when my posts don't make sense^ when I said I would keep it in lassie I meant passive, iPhone plus my typos don't work out to great.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The sound I like is with Gain at 1-2 o'clock and set master to volume needed. I feel that the Gain part noon imparts more of a brighter more agressive tube sound than pre noon, which is more of a clean smooth tube sound, IMO.

I actually now like to boost a little treble in the amps EQ and depending on room acoustics I can even cut a little bass and boost the mids.

A lot of people around here also like to cut the bass knob and then flip the Deep switch. This will give you a more "pillowy" low en because the deep is centered at 30hz and the Bass knob at 40hz.

I only play 4 string passive Laklands, just so you have an idea.

9. From the manual

Volume pot:
    This pot controls the gain of the preamp section. Clean sounds are usually achieved by setting the input gain around 11 or 12 o’clock. A little bit of musical distortion will occur if set past one or two o’clock.

http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/support_manuals_db750.pdf