Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dialing Out the Low End???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 5, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i've been playing smaller rooms these days, and i'm kinda close quarters with the rest of my band mates. we're literally a couple inches away from each other in the lounges and clubs we play.

at any rate, my mates have been saying i'm muddying up the low end. at first i was a little taken aback, but these guys i trust, and wanna do what i can to make the whole band sound better.

cause of my hard time with the room and stage mix, i've been giggin with my iAMP350 and Bergie HT112, and found myself dialing out at 10db worth of the 50Hz range and turning off the "deep" switch. seems a little contradictory for us b-boyz, but suddenly, things are mucho articulate, and i sit better in the mix. its not nearly as boomy anymore, i'm not too loud, and my bandmates are at a reasonable volume too, since they dont need to work as hard to cut thru. and suddenly, i'm much punchier too. WOo Hoo!! :D

is this just my situation, or is this something i should learn from and apply later? anyone else find this true on a larger scale as well?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes, every room has resonant frequencies depending on room dimensions, and sometimes they can be very strong if the room has poor damping. Maybe you've heard "it will get better when the audience gets here" at soundcheck and not thought about why that would be, but people in the room introduces damping and changes the resonance of the room. It can help to have a parametric equalizer to be able to dial in a narrow filter that cuts out the offending frequency. For us bass players the problem is of course often at some good note :), and the difference will as you said be between clarity and "boominess".

There is a formula for where to expect the resonance frequencies based on the speed of sound and the room size (or rather distance between opposing walls), i'll try and see if I can find it, or perhaps someone with physics lessons fresher in memory could chime in. :)

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In general, I find that anything below 100hz should be left flat, or suppressed slightly. You can increase the perceived low end by increasing your volume just a bit after that.