1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dialing the GK Growl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMick, May 10, 2010.

1. BassMick

BassMick

Apr 13, 2010
  2. Usually pretty easy to accomplish that with the 700. I keep the EQ pretty flat at 12 o'clock maybe with minor tweaks. Master at 12 or so. Input volume at 11 or to suit your taste. Dial up the boost - that is where you get a lot of the growl from.

3. BassMick

BassMick

Apr 13, 2010
    Thank you for help and time, what do I do about the Bi-Amp ?

4. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    I agree with cranking the boost up. I constantly play with gain and master, but boost makes it grindy and growly.

5. Boost doesn't go to the horn amp so it stays clean. Adjust the "tweeter" (Horn amps master) so suit your own tastes.

6. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    with the 400rb that i use, it pretty much comes down to having the master cranked up high, and adjust everything else around that

7. Peppacone

Peppacone

Jul 24, 2008
    Having a hot ass input works wonders for me.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Input volume around 10 o'clock, Boost around 2 o'clock, Woofer volume around 11 o'clock - then adjust Input volume and Woofer volume as needed... Start with all your EQ settings at 12 o'clock, then tweak as needed/desired...

Nice purchase - you'll love it...

- georgestrings

9. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Except for setting EQ at 1 o'clock, I do the same for my G-K combos (an MB210 and an MB115) which I play simultaneously.

10. BassMick

BassMick

Apr 13, 2010
    Thank you for replying everyone, pardon my n00b vibe, It's my first time owning a half stack. So I really want to know inside out of this beast.

I'm just wondering if I set the bi amp off or leave it on? Also should the tweeter high cut button be on? same with the woofer hi cut? and why does the "clip" yellow button go on sometimes when I slap?

Thank you for patience and time.

11. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    you'll get that slapping or digging in on some notes,its ok to flash at times. if you get it pretty constant or can haer that your clipping try the pad, don,t know what bass your playing but mine are all active and i find i get a better tone and response from the eq with the pad in. i'm using the 700rbll with a mia p deluxe and a traben sun 5 fretless, both pretty high output.

12. According to Bob Gallien, the GK growl you're looking for comes from a combination of the boost knob and the power amplifier "riding the rails" when it's being driven hard. Maybe just try keeping your EQ flat and having the boost knob at 2 o'clock, maybe the input volume around 10. Then just crank the master louder and louder until it comes out (of course, if the master won't go any higher, you've probably gone too far!). GK amps are famous for their volume per watt ratio, so expect to get loud with that stack you have there before the growl comes out. Stand back a few feet and listen-just let a low E ring when the amp is fairly quiet, and then try it again when it's cranked, you'll hear a big difference in growl and tonal quality. I've read in more than one place that the GK growl is most distinguishable on the lower frequencies, so experiment with those. Once you've got a feel for what the output of the amp is before it starts riding the rails, you can adjust your EQ to your liking and then adjust the master until you hit that sweet level of volume. Experiment is key. Have fun man, GK is awesome!

13. BassMick

BassMick

Apr 13, 2010
    Thank you jelwood! but what do I about this bi amp buisness?

14. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    The bi-amp feature allows you to keep your tweeter signal clean while distorting the woofers to get that signature GK growl. Set your tweeter (for your liking) then use the woofer and boost to dial in the growl you want.

15. By all means, use it to put some articulation in your tone. Remember that their is a separate power amplifier for the horn and another for the woofers (hence there is a volume for the tweeter and one for the woofers). The whole point of the biamp system is so that you can get the growl out of your woofers and not damage your horn. I would say first get your sweet sound dialed in with just the woofers while leaving the horn alone. Then, just turn the tweeter knob up a little and see what you get. Most people like the tweeter around 2 o'clock (make sure you're connected to the cab with the speakon cable it came with...) Once again, experiment. GK amps are probably the most versatile ever made, considering all the sounds you can get with just their EQ and basic controls (gain, boost, contour 4/5 string voice) and there's probably more than one sound you're going to get that you like, which is totally fine. If you honestly don't like the tweeter, you don't have to use it, it's your amp.

16. BassMick

BassMick

Apr 13, 2010
    So keep the bi-amp on? not on full range? and do you have the tweeter Hi-Cut, and Woofer Hi buttons on?

Thank you very much.

17. The high cut switches do exactly as they say...they cut off the very highest of the high frequencies that are going to come out of your enclosure. The exactl frequency can probably be found in your amp's manual. Sometimes with a little too much high end your sound can be very harsh, using these switches could eliminate the harshness but still keep you bright and able to cut through the mix. Toy around with them and see what you get (have you noticed that you'll need to do a lot of experimenting yet?:bassist:)

18. If you want to control the tweeter and woofers separately, then yes, keep the cab on bi-amp. Full range disables the ability of your amp to drive the woofers and horn separately. Wether you keep it on bi-amp or not is up to you and how much you like the sound you're getting.

19. BassMick

BassMick

Apr 13, 2010
    Does bi-amp on or full range on have an effect on getting the growl, or is that not a factor?

20. Doesn't really make a difference, although if you're on fullrange and are getting that growl then you'll likely be putting your horn at risk, hence the availability of bi-amping. If your cab has a horn attenuator for fullrange mode then you could just keep that lower if you really for some reason are cemented on going fullrange and having that growl.