dialling out highs

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by anonymous8547j7d7b, Jul 6, 2005.

1. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    Ive just started playing Double bass & bass guitar with an acoustic(ish) rock band. Obviously the volumes are far in excess to my usual jazz gigs & I am finding it tricky to get rid of the high/mids & highs which are destroying the acoustic nature of the sound. I'm using the Schertler stat-b into the desk - fabulous @ lower volumes but... Any ideas?
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've read that people tend to have great results with the Upton Revolution SOLO. It's a VERY natural reproduction of the bass's acoustic tone, and you can actually flip it over to get a significantly darker tone. After I get the fingberboard dressed and a new nut, I'll be ordering one myself to replace the Underwood on my DB (trust me -- I understand the desire to get rid of unwanted highs when amplifying...)
  3. You might find all you need is a simple passive tone control as in electric guitars. They just use one small capacitor shunting high frequencies to earth.
    I'm about to start experimenting with this myself with some piezo pickups I'm making - it's just trial & error to findthe capacitor value that suits the instrument - it should then be possible to wire it into the pickup jack (it's also possible to use a pot to fade it in, but I prefer to keep it real simple).