Diamond Bass Comp Users - 9V vs. 18v

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ross McLochness, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Good morning TB.
    I recently purchased a used Diamond BCP-1.
    It came with the reverse polarity cable, but not the original 18 volt power supply.
    I've been powering it with my OneSpot > Reverse Polarity Cable > to Pedal.
    Am I losing out in terms of headroom or functionality by only running it at 9v?
    Is anyone able to recommend an 18 volt power supply that works for the Diamond?
    I believe the Diamond 18 volt power supply has to have a positive tip (not negative) which appears to be non-standard.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I liked it better at 18v.

Most power supplies will require you use the converter cable.

3. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    I used a BCP-1 for a while. 9v is ok for low output basses, but for active or hotter output passive 18v is a must.

4. geolikezik

geolikezik

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    I run the Diamond BCP-1 with 9v because I tested with 18v and I couldn't hear any differences for my low or high output passive basses. Also it didn't seem to increase the threshold range, I wish it did...
    But I haven't yet tried 9v with active bass.

5. tflk

tflk Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Seattle
    Regarding this subject. Can I use the supplied reverse polarity cable and with the 18V jack on my Voodoo ISO-5? I would assume that would simply be the same as using the power cable that came with it. Right?

6. I use 18v, never tried 9v. Standard p bass with geezers

7. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Yes. That is correct.

8. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I'm in the same boat as you (bought used, no power supply), and honestly sort of unimpressed with it at 9V. I also haven't used it in a while and am starting to think it really doesnt' matter for me if I have a compressor or not.

9. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
  10. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I reached out to Diamond (as I purchased my BCP-1 used and the previous owner didn't have the original power supply).
    Diamond responded back as follows:
    Just in case anyone wants to buy the exact one they Diamond ships with a brand new unit.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021