Diamond Bass Compressor into Aftershock issue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hopwheels, Jul 9, 2016.

1. hopwheels

hopwheels Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey all,
    Anyone running the Diamond Bass Compressor into the Source Audio Aftershock in their pedal chain? Just bought the Diamond Bass Comp (BCP-1) and I'm having an issue I can't figure out.

My pedal sequence is pedal tuner, compressor (now the BCP-1, formerly the MXR M87 which had zero issues in this chain), Aftershock, TC Electronic SubnUp Octave, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe, Tech 21 VT Bass DI, amp input (Mesa D-800).

The MXR compressor, in place of the BCP-1, has been my signal path for a few months with zero issues. But simply swapping in the BCP-1 resulted in no signal from my bass but massive noise coming from my speakers.

Here’s what I have tried in order to isolate the issue (other than switching out cables and making sure everything is plugged in tightly):

Soloing the BCP-1–no issue (and sounds fantastic by the way);

Soloing the Aftershock–no issue;

Bypassing the Aftershock but going through the rest of my pedal chain-no issue;

Running BCP-1 to Aftershock to amp–issue as described, no bass signal just massive distortion howl coming through speakers.

So my best estimate is that it is the combination of these two pedals.

Also, I am running the BCP-1 with the supplied 18v power supply, and I am running the Aftershock with its supplied 9v power supply.

Anyone have this issue and can lend a hand?

Thanks.

2. ptensioned

ptensioned

Jan 12, 2013
    Hamilton, ON
    Three questions:

- what happens if the BCP is in the chain but is bypassed?
    - is the BCP set to unity gain?
    - what happens if you set it to *less* than unity or barely on?

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  3. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, I thought I tried every cable combo, but hadn't. 2 bad cables in the lot on my board. Not sure how they weren't already an issue. Sorry for the knee jerk thread before I tested every combo.

4. ptensioned

ptensioned

Jan 12, 2013
    Hamilton, ON
    Awesome. Best possible solution. Cheap AND effective.

Reverend179 and hopwheels like this.
  5. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, and that's what I get for buying crappy pedal cables apparently. Lesson learned. Haven't even had them but a couple of months.

Best news is the Diamond Comp is fantastic. I really want to like the MXR but found myself fiddling with it endlessly. Still going to hang onto it for a bit.

6. ptensioned

ptensioned

Jan 12, 2013
    Hamilton, ON
    Back when I used more than one pedal, I hated pre-made patch cables. They were either those garbage multi-colored cheap short ones, or they were either too long or too short, or I couldn't find the right combination of 90 and straight connectors, and all stupid expensive.

So I learned to solder, bought a pile of top quality Neutrik connectors and a length of good shielded cable, and made my own. It totally cleaned up my board (no more loops!) and I think it even sounded better, though that might just be in my head. Soldering cables is about as easy as soldering gets, too.

Neither here not there, and definitely not for everyone, but just thought I'd pass it on...

hopwheels likes this.
  7. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I appreciate the thought. I probably will go that direction when I settle on pedals. These are indeed the Fender multi-colored cheap short ones. To name names.

Broke our the multimeter...which i should have done before plugging all these in... and 3 of the 6 pack I bought have shorts.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    ptensioned likes this.
  8. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    cool you found the issue ..

i have a TC sub n up coming i the mail ... i was going to run it right after my comp pedal ... then into dirt

do you have any tracking issues running the AfterShock into the TC ..?

hopwheels likes this.
  9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    hopwheels likes this.
  10. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021