1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIAMOND BASS COMPRESSOR. IS IT WORTH THE EXTRA $$$

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shababy32, Nov 24, 2017.

1. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    What's happenin guys and gals? I hope everyone had a Happy Turkey Day!

I've been looking for a good mid priced compressor for a while. I really like the Diamond compressor. At least from the sound clips I've heard.

As I was in a vegetative state after eating like a starved dog I started searching for the Diamond optical bass comp. Preferably used. Well I noticed that there wasn't too many used for sale, and the ones i found used were still around 175-200 dollars. What I did find was that the original Diamond optical comps intended for guitarist were a helluva lot cheaper and plentiful if bought new, used, or B-stock.

My question is if worth paying roughly 50-75 dollars more for the bass comp which there is no difference except for the toggle switch that changes the mid frequencies. I play a Fender F.A.S. Pbass. I don't tune to drop B or anything like that. So with that being said, would I be okay with the regular D. Comp, or is it worth the extra cash for the D. Bass Comp? Or is there another brand similar to the Diamond that's just as good and more affordable?

2. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Read the Diamond BCP-1 page. There is a bit more than just a toggle switch. Some circuit changes that you don't see from the outside.

Diamond Pedals | BCP1 BASS COMP

-Frank

Al Kraft and blindrabbit like this.
  3. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    Thank you for that. Pardon my ignorance on circuits and such. All I can tell is that on the toggle switch one setting is 250 hz which is just like the cpr1, and the other setting is 900 hz. It reads that if u have a 5 string, or active bass, or hot pickups then it's a must, but I don't have anything like that. So, with that said, is there a big difference in the two? Well 3 if u count the compact version. Thank u so much for your input.

4. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I use the CPR-1 with a passive 4 string, it works great for me. The results are pretty much as described in bongo’s review, and I like it a lot - for me it really adds some definition to the start of the note in a way that sounds great in the mix. There’s definitely some attenuation in the very low lows but a) I don’t want them there anyway and b) I’m fairly sure that the HPF in my Tone Hammer would be getting rid of them as well. I leave the tilt eq flat so the lack of toggle doesn’t make a difference. I run it at 12v as it seems to sound a little better that way but I’m not sure I’d tell the difference in a blind test!

I’ve not had the chance to compare it with the ‘Bass’ version though so I can’t help too much there. Hope that helps.

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I like the Diamond bass compressor and think it's worth the extra money for the additional headroom they built into the circuitry. Being able to set the tilting EQ pivot point at 250 Hz is also a noticeable change IME.

If you play 4 string and don't have really hot pickups and/or a high output pre-amp, the guitar version worked fine for many people for many years. I've played both and like the bass version better. It sounds like it was tuned to work well with bass frequencies and provides a very full, rich tone to any instrument I've plugged into it.

blindrabbit and Buzz E like this.
  6. I freakin' love mine. I've never used a compressor in my live rig before, and only use light compression on the studio, where my favorite is the good old LA-2A. Which, not coincidentally, is what I believe this stompbox is meant to "emulate". It's a permanent part of my rig now, gives me a nice solid, fat sound that cuts through everything! :)

rockinrayduke likes this.
  7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'm not sure they built extra headroom into the bass version, just that they supplied it with an 18V adaptor, which you could also use with the original. The tilt EQ changes would only take effect if you actually used it rather than left it set at 12 o'clock... The only other change I see listed is that they extended the low range down to 20Hz. I'm not sure where the original was limited to, but your cabs will probably struggle to reproduce anything below 40Hz. In effect you may be fine with the original running at 18V if you can find a good deal on a used one of those but not the bass version.

Or save even more money and get a Spectracomp would be my recommendation!

Al Kraft likes this.
  8. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    Has anyone had used the Xotic voltage doubler with a Diamond Bass Comp from an isolated connection on a voodoo labs pedal power? I'd like to run it at 18v if possible, but spare 9v connections are at a premium.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't tried it, but the 9V outlets may not have enough available current to support the doubler.

vlad_drac likes this.
  10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I am probably one of the few that don't see the magic in the Diamond.
    It's a 3:1 compressor which is not a high enough ratio for some of my level controlling needs.
    I also didn't find the tone magic or greater harmonic content. More like a nice compressor that has a tone switch.
    FWIW, I was a recording engineer for many years.
    It's been awhile since I've used and LA2A but I didn't notice that much similarity.

Pretty happy with my Duncan compressor but very interested in trying an FEA.
    This is assuming Frank would finally get some units in :)

dannybuoy and Zoobiedood like this.
  11. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    Thanks bongo. I might hit up Diamond support, but I'll probably just stick the 9v.

12. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    The Diamond BCP-1 draws approx 14mA @ 18V. That voltage doubler should be pretty efficient, so it should draw approx 30mA @9V powering the Diamond.

-Frank

vlad_drac and Al Kraft like this.
  13. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    Awesome, thanks Frank!