1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diamond Bass Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by michinho, Oct 29, 2013.

1. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone uses this pedal using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2?

If so how do you go about powering it.

If it's not possible to do, can anyone recommend an alternative to the Diamond with simular atributes but can be powered using the Pedal Power 2?

2. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    I power mine with my Iso5, and use the 18V output, but if i'm remembering correctly the pedal power 2 only has 9v? I think you have to use on of the little cables that takes two 9v outputs and combine them into one 18v cable. Voodoo labs sells them.

3. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Thanks for the reply, I looked at this but I noticed that the Diamond is not a point negative? so surley you wouldn't be able to use Voodoo Labs standard "v" cable?

4. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    My diamond comp came with a 9v cable that plugs into two spots on the voodoo labs pp2. I just run the normal 18v cord that also came with it so that it doesn't take two spots on the Voodoo. It's not ideal, but the pedal is soooo good that I'd run it on its own gas powered generator if I had to.

5. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    I really want one, I've only heard good things. I heard that it's transparent but improves the overall "punchiness" of your tone. Is it really that good? :hyper:

6. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    I think so. I've only had a few comps to compare it to, Aguilar TLC & MarkBass Comp, but I like it way more than those. It's so simple to use too. I had the TLC for several years, but only used it on rare occasions. The Diamond is almost always on now. It does color the tone a bit more than the TLC, but in a good way. It fattens up the tone and adds the punch that you were asking about. You can also mess with the EQ, but I usually run it flat with just a touch of compression to the point that it only engages when notes are attacked hard. Even at low compression settings it still adds punch and fatness. I love it.

7. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Awesome. Super excited to see how it sounds with my new T-bird. Where abouts do you have it in your chain? I was thinking of running it at the start after my tuner...

8. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    I have it 3rd. I'd have it first but the Mammoth is more sensitive to position than the Diamond.

9. Yurtra

Yurtra

Apr 26, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    I use mine at 24v by combining two 12v outputs from the PP2+. The PP2+ has several dip switches that let you easily switch a few of the individual outputs between 9v and 12v.

I find it sounds even clearer when run with the extra headroom. Might not make any difference if you aren't using a high output bass though!

10. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Yeah I may try it at both then! I play passive basses. Fender P's and J's Gibson Thunderbirds etc

11. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I really want one of these... Will it sound OK at 9v?
    Also, it's kind of big. Has anyone ever rehoused one in a smaller case?

12. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Has anyone got any decent soundclips of the Diamond? Can't seem to find any decent ones on youtube

13. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    It sounds amazing...not sure how you would really show it off in a sound clip (I think any compressor is tough, because it all depends on your bass output and how hard your playing). Fat and Present are the words I would use. And the EQ is very handy too. I would just buy one and if you don't like it you can sell if and get most of your money back.

14. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Good description.

15. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    the one adjective that folks have failed to add is 'smooth'. fattens and adds punch is what everyone seems to say about it. To me ( and I've been using this comp for quite some time) is it really tightens up your sound with buttery smoothness. I really notice it most in the low mids. I can see how some would say punchy but really it's a tightness. The added sustain is very smooth. The make up gain has a very nice usable range. Responsive as all ****, not all or nothing.

But remember this is a low ratio compressor that's fixed at about 3 to 1. (Correct me if I'm wrong). If your looking for a limiter or high ratio comp this ain't it. Probably why most say (me too) it's an on all the time pedal.
    If your looking for the trick that this pony does, imo,there's none better.

It does come with a polarity reverse cable which you will need. The yellow doubler cable that comes with the pedal power, fuel tank, etc. will get you to 18v. The pedal will run at 9v unless your input is extremely hot or your after extreme amounts of make up gain.

as with any effect it's important to not use extreme settings. I have had huge success with this pedal keeping the threshold (input) below 12:00 and make up somewhat close to unity. Paired with my empress para eq it's become such an integral part of my sound that it feels naked with out 'em.

As pOK already said just buy and try. You'll have no problem selling if it's not your thing.

16. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    Yes, smooth is a great word! When you say you set the "Threshold (Input)" below noon, do you mean the volume? or are you talking about the compression knob?

17. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    I could be wrong here and someone please correct me if I am. To me and my ears I feel the comp knob is actually controlling input level which is basically setting the threshold for when compression kicks in. I believe the amount of compression is actually a fixed value.
    At any rate I've had good results with the comp knob at around 11:00. Still maintains ability to use finger dynamics effectively. I think I'll email Diamond and get the facts.

18. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    Yeah, you could be right actually. I've always been a little confused with the LED light as well...I assume the compressor is still doing something when the red light isn't on, but I wasn't sure exactly what that light indicates...

Let me know if you hear anything from Diamond on how things actually work!

19. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    just now emailed them. I'll post their response.

20. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    hey pOK, congrats on world series win if you are a sox fan