1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diamond BCP-1 Question for those of you with time in on them...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MarkM13, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    So I was really close to modding the Bass but then I decided to do something radical like rearrange my pedal board. I put my DOD Meatbox reissue in the beginning of my chain and right in front of the BCP-1 this allows me to use the Meatboxes level control to cut the db of my active bass and re-balance it when I use my passive bass. I leave the Meatbox on all the time so there is not an issue with it off. As well I leave the Diamond on all the time it just sounds too good not to. I did put at the end of my chain the Mesa Subway DI so I have additional control over all.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So here she is put back together. The Diamond will be buried with me it sounds that good.

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Curious where you all set the compressor knob?

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Depends on the bass. My lower output Fernandes basses require 2:00 to trigger the LED from green > amber.

Riis

5. Attym

Attym

Apr 3, 2015
    Curious if anyone could share their preferred settings. Since the compression ratio is low, would it make sense just to crank it?

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Two schools of thought:
    • start from no compression and dial it up until you get the result you want
    • start from max compression and dial it back until you get the result you want (or just leave it at max if that works for you ;))

tightbidness and Attym like this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    See #63 and #64 above. EQ tilt @ ~11:30, freq center @ 900...I find the 250 setting sucks too much life out of the useful mids. Set the volume so the compressed output = unaffected output. Of course, YMMV.

Riis

Attym likes this.
  8. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    For a passive Fender, I keep the Comp knob at about 8-9, freq 900 , tilt eq betwee 9-11 depending...

9. So if the 900 setting sounds better, one could just get the normal guitar version? Is there any difference between the two besides the EQ switch?

10. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    They went with 18V on the bass version for more headroom.:thumbsup:

-Frank

11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Apparently so.

Diamond Pedals | BCP1 BASS COMP

12. It's all in the details!

Been slowly looking around at compressor pedals trying to get an idea of what I want, and prefer a 3 knob magic box to round out my sound over a complex many knobbed beast. Probably need to pick one and get experience through playing around with it, but think I'd prefer a simpler pedal if possible.

Waiting to see the Bass Comp Jr reviews before jumping into anything though. It's size/price will be more attractive.

13. It will be awesome. I would bet my life on it.

14. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    The 'regular' version can also be powered at anywhere from 9-24V to get greater headroom - I run mine at 12V and it sounds great. I've heard others say that the bass version has the same range of power input (with the caveat that the headroom at 9V will be less than at 18V).

15. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    The bass version ships with an 18V supply (positive tip) and has no 9V battery snap like the CPR1. The CPR1 uses a negative tip power supply.

-Frank

16. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Yep! All good things to note. There's no battery door on the CPR-1 so it's not overly convenient to use that way, but it can be done.

Thankfully the new Bass Comp Jr will have a 'normal' negative centre socket so there's less chance of accidentally frying things :laugh: I've seen a few too many posts where people have put the polarity reverser before a 9V-18V converter and released some magic smoke...

17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Tonight's question:
    Other than head room, what the difference between the CS1 and the BP1?
    I would be using a passive P bass so headroom is probably not an issue although concerned about low freq loss.
    Is the tilt EQ the same as well as the magic inside?
    I want a pedal that runs on batteries.
    There has to be a great deal of magic for me to have a wall wart; if I'm going that far, I may as well use a dbx163 or 160 unit since both are paid for and compress well.

Then again magic and fairy dust are very compelling.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've owned both DBX units and loved them. If the old DBXs sounded like the Diamond Bass Compressor they would be selling for 5 grand a pop all day long.

The tilting EQ works great for adding low or high end. The BCP-1 definately works best with passive basses but will work fine with hot active basses if you turn them down a little.

Al Kraft likes this.
  19. Diamond Bass Comp is a great unit. Has been a staple on my board longer than any other pedal I own (except maybe EQ). I play P basses and it works perfectly with them.

rugrat and Al Kraft like this.
  20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Think a CS1 would work well for a passive bass?
    The battery power and the low prices I've seen on the used market seem enticing.
    Is the low end the same as well as the EQ?
    Couldn't see to find this on their site.