1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Diamond BCP1 internal EQ-defeat switch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Killens84, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    For those of you with a Diamond BCP1, how many of you have experimented with the internal EQ-defeat switch? I'm talking about the one inside the unit, that you have to open the cover to access. I did some experimenting with it, to see which setting I prefer.

Turning the EQ off makes the tone more transparent. It sounds a bit more like your bass' natural tone, but it removes some of that "fatness" that the Diamond is known for. I preferred the EQ turned on when I was playing by myself, but I think I actually may like it turned off in the context of a full band mix. I'm still trying to decide.

How many of you are using the Diamond with the internal EQ switch turned off? What are your thoughts, either way?

2. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    If I am not mistaken, you can just put the EQ know in the center position (where it clicks) and the eq circuit is bypassed.

3. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I thought so too, but it's actually a noticeable difference with the internal switch off, even compared to just putting the EQ knob at center.

4. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    That will set the EQ for a flat response, but the signal is still running thru the EQ circuitry. The internal switch bypasses the EQ circuitry.

The designer of the Diamond comp appears to be an audiophile. He parallels capacitors for improved transient response
    and added current sources to the discrete transistor buffers to improve the THD (by 10x) from an inaudible 0.01% to a really inaudible 0.001%. Then he uses opamps that cost 10x the standards most builders use. So, having a switch that allows the user to bypass EQ circuitry they will not use, fits perfectly with the design theme. :thumbsup:

-Frank

5. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    Sorry, brain fart here!
    I was sure the center position was the "off". Thanks for the clarification! :)

6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Until I read this it wasn't clear to me why it always seemed like the Diamond would actually remove noise when I put it in the signal chain. And I always attributed its low THD to running at a higher voltage and having more headroom. I knew it was a "quiet pedal", but there's a difference between not adversely impacting S/N ratio and improving it. :)

boomertech likes this.
  7. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    There is also a 4.8KHz 6dB/oct filter that can be set with a jumper. That would remove some hiss from the signal if the comp was placed at the end of the chain.

-Frank

Yakamoga and Al Kraft like this.
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I wish I had tried this with mine while I still had it. It was a lovely comp.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

So do I...could be why perhaps I didn't like it very much? @boomertech, does the internal 12k filter on the Optifet work in much the same manner if placed at the end of the chain?

boomertech likes this.
  10. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Exactly the same manner.:)

-Frank