Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Diamond coating a fretboard?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by caesarbass, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Hey Guys, this is my first post in the Luthier's corner, so be kind. My question is, does Diamondcoating a fretboard improve the tone of a fretless bass? When I say diamondcoating, I mean the Pedulla Fretless Buzz-Bass type of coating they put on their fingerboards. Also, I understand that "improving" may not be the correct term, I think i should ask, what are the differences in tone between an unfinished and finished fretboard? Thanks guys!!!! :D

2. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Like an epoxy coat? They're mostly put on softer wood fingerboards, like rosewood. They protect the fingerboard from wear, and provide a harder surface that 1) brightens the sound 2) should generally create more mwah. Harder surface = more mwah. Generally speaking, of course. Harder woods like ebony shouldn't really need any coating.

3. Does Pink Ivory need a coating? Is it as hard as Ebony? Thanks again for the quick reply.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Pink Ivory and Ebony are both very hard woods, that are often used with no coating. Daimondkote or similar will further increase the wear resistance, and will change the sound to be brighter. Pedulla Buzzes are coated ebony.

5. Great info. I think I'll play the bass with the unfinished fingerboard for a while and see how I end up liking it.
    Thanks guys.

6. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I realize you said you'll be playing on an unfinished board (which is my preference), but try to find a Pedulla buzz bass and give it a spin. That will be the best way to tell whether or not you like it.

7. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Not trying to hijack this thread but I had a sort of similar question. What type of coating is on the ric fretboards. I've heard that they use bubinga fretboards often but what's that clear glossy coat?

8. I've actually had a few fretless basses that have the coating on the fingerboard, I've liked them, but I'm really interested in trying the unfinished board on this new bass. What exactly do you prefer in an unfinished fretboard?

9. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Unfinished boards sound woodier to me. And in the case of my parts jazz with an unfinished ebony board, it definitely has more mwah and growl. The board does get beat up quick though, which hasn't been a big deal. Just off to the shop to be sanded down a bit (I'm not very handy).