1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diamond Compressor distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MobileHolmes, Nov 29, 2017.

1. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I've been getting some distortion out of my Diamond lately. Tweaked the settings a little bit, and it seems like if the compression is above half, it just gets farty if you set the volume loud enough to be unity volume with the bypass. Is this normal? Is something wrong with it? I'm running at 9 volts if that matters.

2. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    First thing to try is running it at 18v, the increased headroom really helps. It's known to distort a little at 9v if the input signal is hot. Not sure if you play active basses or not. If that doesn't help it might be an issue with the pedal itself, but running at 18v is the cheapest, easiest option to trouble shoot first.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  3. Why run it at 9v when it comes with an 18v power supply?

MobileHolmes likes this.
  4. MobileHolmes

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    The problem really showed up with a passive P with Duncan Quarter Pounders, which are pretty hot. Less of an issue with my active basses actually

I bought it used and don't remember if it came with the supply or not (Will have to look). I run everything off my VL pedal power. Will have to see if I have the power supply.

willsellout likes this.
  5. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    QPs are indeed quite hot and may be the issue. I prefer the Diamond at 18v even with lower output basses. Really hard playing spikes could still overload the compressor at 9v. Anyways, I hope the issue is as simple as that for you.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  6. MobileHolmes

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Thanks! No luck so far finding the orignal power supply. I do have a spare outlet on my VL, so I could get one of their 18v jumper cable things if need be

willsellout likes this.