Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Diamond db (chinese)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Acapom, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Acapom

Acapom

Feb 11, 2005
    Roma
    Has anyone owned or tried out one of these? Any opinions that you can share? My luthier offered me a 3/4 carved bass with fine ebony fingerboard for 2000$ (I'm italian: 1600€)

Thanks in advance!

2. Acapom

Acapom

Feb 11, 2005
    Roma
    So I'm the only one ever heard about this bass... :-(
    Inside there is a flag: Diamond, made in China, Stradivarius model 3/4...

3. Hi ! My first bass was Chinese. I beleive you can find some good Chinese instruments, but also a lot of crap.

I also had this "Stradivarius blabla Cremona 17xx" stuff written on a label... IMHO this is a big joke. I don't think Stradivarius made any bass in his life, just a few cellos, but mostly violins and violas. The genius defined the shape of the modern violins... but not of the basses (which are not violins anyway).

Try it, it is the only way to know if it is a good instrument. Ebony is good (beware of "ebonised" stuff !)

I have doubts about a 1600 euros CARVED bass. You can get a very good laminated for that price, but a carved one... Not so sure. Besides, isn't Italy a great place to find better used instrument ?

4. Acapom

Acapom

Feb 11, 2005
    Roma

Well it is not a full carved instrument, the top is carved but the back is laminated. The sound is great my worry is about the construction...well, I'll try it again in a few days, when ebony fingerboard and strings will be replaced and bridge setted...
    Then I'll take my decision