1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diamond Memory Lane - Review, Clips, & Pics

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Jun 26, 2007.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    I finally got my Diamond Memory Lane Analog Delay. I ordered it about a month ago but got it in a custom color and a bunch of custom Mods done, so it took a while. It was Well worth the wait.

Here's the info from the website -

Costs $470 USD (Stock)

- 550 ms approx analog delay time using 2 NOS MN3005’s running at 15V
    - tap tempo footswitch control of analog delay time, OR footswitchable modulation on/off: 'feature' switch allows selection of footswitch for either tap tempo operation or modulation on/off
    - vibrato modulation depth and speed controls
    - tilt EQ in delay / feedback path provides subtle control over frequency spectrum of repeats (from increasingly dark repeats to flat to increasingly bright repeats)
    - 'kill-dry' delay only output for amplifiers with parallel effect loops
    - inserting cable into delay only output jack automatically removes delay signal from mix output giving separate direct only and delay only outputs
    - true bypass operation for mix/direct output
    - pristine signal paths using premium opamps, polypropylene caps and metal film resistors
    - expression pedal input to control feedback level
    - ability to use standard 1/4" stereo to two 1/4" mono insert cable in expression pedal input to insert an effect or chain of effects into the feedback loop (can also be used to insert a standard volume pedal
    as feedback control)
    - LED flashes for visual feedback of delay time
    - self-oscillating feedback path with ability to shape via feedback EQ in realtime
    - analog voltage supply internally regulated to 15V for low noise operation and increased headroom in line level effect loops
    - rugged genuine Hammond aluminum diecast enclosure
    - DC adapter included

[​IMG]

The knobs are Delay, Feedback Section (2 knobs - EQ and Level), Modulation/Tap Tempo switch, Modulation Section (2 knobs - Depth and Speed), and Mix.

It looks exactly like that (Kermit the Frog Green).

First off, this is the first delay pedal I've ever owned. So take my review with a grain of salt.

Review - The looks are stunning, the paint is glittery under light, and the knobs are really cool. Tough case too. The delays sound very warm and organic to my ear. The lowest delay setting is cool for getting an almost chorus-like tone. All the different parameters really make this thing a tone machine. I really like that it just doesn't do delay, I really like how I can change the delay sound (EQ knob), amount (Level knob), make it sound all crazy with modulation (depth and speed), and then be able to choose how much of my signal is direct bass and how much is delayed sound (Mix Knob).

The Tap Tempo function is really great, I really enjoy having the 1/8th note mod (tap in quarter notes, get dotted eigth note delays). When in Tap Tempo mode you can still use modulation, but it isn't as pronounced. So you kinda gotta be in one or the other, Modulation or Tap Tempo.

The mods I got were for an Delay Expression Jack, Mix Expression Jack, Speed Expression Jack, and Dotted 1/8 note mod (mentioned above). I haven't been able to use the expression pedal jacks yet cause i gotta get some exp. pedals (he recommends Moog exp. pedals).

The modulation stuff is pretty wild. You can get some really vibratoed delays if you max the speed and depth. You can get the pedal to self-oscillate as well. If you put the feedback Level knob past 1 o'clock you'll start to get some self-oscillation. Pretty cool stuff.

In closing, I know the Meatball is my "holy grail" pedal, but this thing is right up there as well. It sounds just terrific and looks very cool (especially on my pedalboard of technicolor pedals:) ), and fits in well on my all analog board.

NOTE- With all the sounds clips (my own ones, not the manual settings) I tried to show the extreme examples of the EQ, Modulation, etc. It can do all the nice suttle stuff in between as well. I just wanted to show the boundaries so people would know everything that it can do.

2. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    These are clips of the settings listed in the Manual.

Slapback and Spatializer (Low delay, chorus kinda sound).

I apologize for the bad playing, i was doing this recording at 2am and just wanted to get stuff up so you guys can hear what it sounds like.

Attached Files:

3. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Me2 and Solo Bass.

Attached Files:

4. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    These are my own representations of the Pedal.

EQ - I start all the way down (darker delays) then to Flat (normal delays) then maxed out (brighter delays). Showcasing the EQ knob.

Modulation - I moved the depth and speed knobs around. The crazy vibrato thing at the end is Maxed speed and depth.

Attached Files:

5. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Self-Oscillation. yes it can do that. I was moving the level knob back and forth so the oscillation wouldn't ruin my speakers.

Attached Files:

6. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Oh. My. PANTS.

I envy you. I wish I had cash for one of those...

7. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    for the Self-Oscillation, try getting the unit to Self-Oscillation and when its Oscillating, change the delay time, you want to slow down the delay time, but with the pitch drop, you get a small volume drop and you can play your clean bass over the Echo oscillating under that. try it. its AWESOME.

8. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    cool thanks Bubba.

9. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    fun innit? i do it alot. i think that ill use it on my first album.

10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Heh. Your first album.

Anyway, that's a killer review! Very thorough. Sounds like you got you money's worth. :D

11. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    yep. my first album. it will be dedicated to Talkbass.

12. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    very cool
    i love memory lane, three of my friends all get it, it can beat sib echodriver or eh memoryman all the ways.
    very nature sweet and versatile tone from vintage to modern style. and it very clear even u used it with a hi-gain dist.

13. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So you wrote this review in June. What do you think of it now that you've had it a few months? Do you wish you got the dotted 8th mod?

14. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i did get the dotted eighth mod. it sounds good, i like what it does and have had fun with it.

the only real issues i have with it are that it's big and i don't use delay much. other than that, it's doing great.

15. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    I just now found out about this pedal, and my question is:
    how accurate is the tap tempo?

16. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i have since sold the pedal BUT the tap tempo was accurate. since the delay time is only 550 ms the range is smaller than a digital tap tempo. but it was accurate for me and i was always able to dial in the tempo.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021