1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diamond or Markbass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eagle67, Feb 9, 2015.

1. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    I'm looking for a new compressor. I have played the MXR M87 and the Markbass, and liked the MB much better for the warm tone. Size and power are not important. I can buy it locally, and I’m ready. But, ....... I’ve heard so much here about the Diamond BCP-1, but it isn’t available for me to play, hear, or even see. I have done my homework (Thanks Bongomania) and narrowed it down to the MB or the Diamond. Should I pick up the MB here in town and be happy, or should I order a Diamond and hope for the best? I play classic rock - 100% finger style, and no slap.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I love both of them, but I think the MB would suit classic rock better IF you want to use higher ratios for peak limiting. If you're not looking for peak limiting, then it just comes down to personal taste. :)

Red Planet and blindrabbit like this.
  3. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    Thanks Bongo. I was hoping that someone could put that "Diamond Magic Tone" into words and then compare it to the Markbass tone (which I think is pretty darn good).

4. Would love to semi-high-jack this ... What if i am not looking for any "magic" ... and already love my tone, any recommendations for super transparent compressor?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's a pretty big hijack, but what's your budget?

6. Whoops : P .... 250 i'd say.

7. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    The Rothwell Love Squeeze is incredibly transparent and well below your price. If you want something snazzy, the Empress comp is at the top of most people's lists.

8. Empress, especially since you are up in Canada!

FretNoMore likes this.
  9. Eagle67, you already know/have tried the MB, so get the Diamond! Then you'll be able to decide which is best for you. If it's the Diamond, then you've got a great comp; if it's the MB you like then flip the Diamond. I'm sure there'll be others in your area that haven't had the good fortune to try the Diamond and who would be willing to take it off your hands; or sell it here on TB's classifieds. Think of the price differential of new-to-used as the price of renting it to try.

@ pooner, listen to the wise blindrabbit.

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'd buy the Diamond, I haven't used it myself but it seems like a great compressor. The Markbass is for me disqualified based on size and odd voltage, and I admit to being shallow enough to not like its design and color either.

And ... +1 on the Empress, which is the one I chose.

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have both and they are both amazing amazing comps. But if I had to choose, I would choose the FEA Labs Opti-fet. It has knocked both those other comps off the Board.

Diamond- pros: sounds great, easy to dial in, good size, can run at 9v if you have to; cons: works better at 18v, could have more control options, no metering really - the one led is useless, expensive.

MarkBass pros: iTalian, tube, sounds amazing, tons of control options, good value; cons: size, pain in the ass to power

FEA : pros: sounds the best of the three, good size, more controls than you will ever need, very very quiet, 9v low draw; cons: harder to find (getting easier),

12. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    To the op, I've heard nothing but goodness out of the markbass comp another local bass player uses.
    To the highjacker, checkout the ehx black finger. Super transparent and super awesome. Real tubes!

13. Granny1089

Granny1089

Oct 15, 2012
    Saskatoon, SK
    I literally just got the Diamond today. Even on my little practice amp it sounds AMAZING! Bongos review hits the nail on the head, it somehow fattens and adds clarity plus it's super simple.

For me it was between the Empress (I have the multidrive which I love, was interested in the blend and metering) and the Diamond (both Canadian companies which is bad ass). Decided on the Diamond for its simplicity and allure. Haha.

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    Thanks guys - all great answers. And maybe it's a good thing the FEA is so hard to find, otherwise I'd have 3 to think about:) So it boils down to Diamond/Markbass: both sound great, can't go wrong with either, one is bigger, and one simpler. No one has said "don't buy this" or "can't live without that", and that's all good.

15. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Can I play Devil's advocate and offer one more viable suggestion? :bag:
    The Effectrode PC-2A is an amazing tube compressor, and I very much regret having to sell mine a while back. It has a fat tone and smooth compression...I believe Bongomania mentioned in another thread that it is very similar in tube tone to the Markbass but in a smaller size (with less control, of course). It does not have metering, but is easier to get a hold of one than an FEA (which btw, MOSFED forgot to mention ALSO only has 1 LED for metering...let's keep things fair between FEA and the other comps ;)).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  16. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Nov 28, 2011
    Toronto
    I had the Markbass, I sold it and now have the Diamond. Both are awesome, top-notch compressors, and you can't go wrong with either. The only reason I sold my MB was the size and power requirements. I have a all-tube amp, so I really didn't need a tube comp as well for the tube 'warmth'. I also love the simplicity of the Diamond, I actually turned off the till-eq via the switch inside the pedal, so it's just adjust the comp knob to taste, then bring the volume back up with the volume knob. That said, I always got a great tone out of the MB as well. I'd say if size and power are an issue, spring for the Diamond, otherwise, get the one you can find cheapest.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021