Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Diamonds Cheap! Uh, 30 trillion miles away though.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Feb 13, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm hopin' I didn't spend too much on that ring for my Wife.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Astronomers spy 10 billion trillion trillion-carat diamond
    The Associated Press
    Last Updated 3:06 p.m. PST Friday, February 13, 2004
    LOS ANGELES (AP) - If anyone's ever promised you the sun, the moon and the stars, tell 'em you'll settle for BPM 37093.
    The heart of that burned-out star with the no-nonsense name is a sparkling diamond that weighs a staggering 10 billion trillion trillion carats. That's one followed by 34 zeros.

The hunk of celestial bling is an estimated 2,500 miles across, said Travis Metcalfe, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"You would need a jeweler's loupe the size of the sun to grade this diamond," said Metcalfe, who led the team that discovered the gem.

The diamond is a massive chunk of crystallized carbon that lies about 300 trillion miles from Earth, in the constellation Centaurus.

The galaxy's largest diamond is formally known as a white dwarf, or the hot core of a dead sun.

Astronomers have suspected for decades that white dwarfs crystallized, but only recently were able to verify the hypothesis.

A paper detailing the discovery has been submitted to The Astrophysical Journal Letters for publication.

http://sacbee.com/state_wire/story/8260120p-9190734c.html

2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    "Diamonds,that'll shut 'er up.............for a minute."

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I want it.

That is cool though.

Imagine hitting it with a laser, it would produce a great light show.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is one huge diamond. If that is a good quality diamond, I wonder if Zales or DeBeers will get a spaceship and go get it. They'll probably be the ones to figure out warp technology. Star Trek, here we come.

5. "All six of us floating down a river drinking beer's for 6 hours. And no one had to pee" :p

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    "I don't think so...scooter."

7. to think of all the money i wasted on....um...i have something...*looking around* this crazy bamboo plant when i could have bought a......er.....diamond....bamboo plant