Diamonds Cheap! Uh, 30 trillion miles away though.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Feb 13, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm hopin' I didn't spend too much on that ring for my Wife.

Astronomers spy 10 billion trillion trillion-carat diamond
    The Associated Press
    Last Updated 3:06 p.m. PST Friday, February 13, 2004
    LOS ANGELES (AP) - If anyone's ever promised you the sun, the moon and the stars, tell 'em you'll settle for BPM 37093.
    The heart of that burned-out star with the no-nonsense name is a sparkling diamond that weighs a staggering 10 billion trillion trillion carats. That's one followed by 34 zeros.

The hunk of celestial bling is an estimated 2,500 miles across, said Travis Metcalfe, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"You would need a jeweler's loupe the size of the sun to grade this diamond," said Metcalfe, who led the team that discovered the gem.

The diamond is a massive chunk of crystallized carbon that lies about 300 trillion miles from Earth, in the constellation Centaurus.

The galaxy's largest diamond is formally known as a white dwarf, or the hot core of a dead sun.

Astronomers have suspected for decades that white dwarfs crystallized, but only recently were able to verify the hypothesis.

A paper detailing the discovery has been submitted to The Astrophysical Journal Letters for publication.
  2. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    "Diamonds,that'll shut 'er up.............for a minute."
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I want it.

That is cool though.

Imagine hitting it with a laser, it would produce a great light show.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is one huge diamond. If that is a good quality diamond, I wonder if Zales or DeBeers will get a spaceship and go get it. They'll probably be the ones to figure out warp technology. Star Trek, here we come.
  5. "All six of us floating down a river drinking beer's for 6 hours. And no one had to pee" :p
  6. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    "I don't think so...scooter."
  7. to think of all the money i wasted have something...*looking around* this crazy bamboo plant when i could have bought plant