Diana Ross: Touch Me in the Morning/ Bob Babbitt

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is one of those songs I heard a million times, but never listened to. Bob Babbitt was killing’ it!

2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    +1

I've always like Bob Babbitt's playing. I feel our styles are in the same ball park, ie I can play his lines far easier than some of Jamerson's mercurial lines. Another Babbitt killer is Midnight Train To Georgia. I love that tone. . . .

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    What he does when the double-time starts is absolute perfection.

4. I love Babbitt, didn't know he did this one but as time goes on I learn more and more about him. Nice note selection and tone. Nothing like a P bass with La Bella flats on it. This kind of playing is in my DNA, my ear was glued to the radio during the 60s' and 70's.

chris_b likes this.

5. Yup, Babbitt played more simple lines, love Babbitt.

chris_b likes this.
  6. I always post this for Babbitt, (probably too often, but hey), beautiful smooth lines in this tune. I loved this bass line when it came out but of course didn't know who Babbitt was until much later. 1978.

Not sure who the bassist here but he pretty much nails Babbitt's part with a P bass and a 70's Ampeg B-15.:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  7. Clever Moniker

Clever Moniker

Sep 23, 2012
    Babbit is right up there in my personal bass pantheon!

chris_b and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. Gene Machine

Gene Machine

Mar 19, 2003
    Yeah that bass line is the shiznit. Babbit rocks. I met him a few years ago after a Funk Bros gig. He signed my pickguard :)

NigelD and Fretless1! like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021