1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diary of a mad bass collector NBD #52 El Degas Alembic Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I was ready to pounce on two ancient Hagstrom basses but the necks were both just a little too worn for me to take the chance. But the short scale thin neck felt so good in my hands.
    Instead I picked up my first Pawn Shop bass .. Yeah I know the deals aren't there any more like they used to be but I swapped some old dog crates, my small chainsaw (hey I live in a big city how many chainsaws do I need) some x-box games that I didn't want the kids playing with (violence against cops .. they can kill as many aliens and zombies as they want but I don't want them disrespecting cops even in a video game .. even though I probably did when I was young and foolish) and some cash to liberate this El Degas Alembicish copy.
    I've got a thing for old El Degas basses.
    What can I tell you.
    Set neck, mahogany, brass nut, knobs and bridge.
    Nice mother of pearl inlay. Dials in lots of different tones.
    Dimarzio pups. Probably early 80s Japan.
    Its a really nice player. I just wish the dot markers on the binding were a bit more distinct.
    I'm a sucker for 80s Natural wood.... and I 've got my eyes open for #53 .... I'm looking for a Jag or a 50s precision. But you never know what will cross my path before then.

IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2849.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg

2. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Is this Matsumoku-made?

3. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    Some people have said that El Degas is made by Matsumoku.
    The later ones are Korean but the early ones are very nice Japanese guitars but vary tremendously in quality!
    They were probably only available in Canada (like MANN ...(Ibanez clones) and Northern with their Maple Leaf inlays ... probably the most Canadian of any guitar (that's MIJ).
    I currently own several Matsumoku basses and have owned about 5 different El Degas basses over the years. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most are probably not Matsumoku in my far from expert opinion .. but I've played several .. (also some Les Paul copies as well) including this one that I believe are. They are far too similar to the known Matsumoku brands.
    When it comes to El Degas ... find the brass nut, the mother of pearl inlay and the Gibson headstock ... and you probably have a winner. Otherwise, not so much.