1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diary of a mad bass collector NBD #54 1971 Hagstrom II B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    Well I've been looking for a vintage Hagstrom for a bit.
    How we hated them in the 70s. My town was too small for a Fender or Gibson dealer so the best you could buy was Hagstrom or Ibanez. Well times change and so do attitudes.
    I have actually scoped out several vintage Hagstroms in the last month but there was a lot of wear on the neck and one had a hairline crack which scared me off. But the neck felt so good in my hands and medium scale very easy to play.
    So I made the drive to Hamilton today to pick up this baby. I'm told it's 1971 and it is in lovely shape for a 40 year old bass.
    Apparently bought from a widow about 10 years ago and not played much since (or for a while previously by the looks of it).
    Haven't picked up a bass for a bit but managed to snag two in the last couple days. 1983 Ibanez Roadstar and this one. My contract is winding down so I'm expecting my bass hoarding phase to come to a halt by the end of the year if not sooner. I would like to hit 60 by then if possible .. but if not it's not the end of the world. I"ll probably start winding down the collection in 2013 but it's been fun while it lasted.

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    As I mentioned in my email response to your inquiry, this bass is a H-II-B-N (not Hagstrom II B) and it was made in 1976 not 1971 as the seller told you.

Enjoy.

TD

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Cool old bass. So, how does it sound and play?

4. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Reminds me of 60s japanese basses... How would you describe the sound?

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Where the hell do you store 54 basses?

I have 12 or 13 guitars now (once had 25) and THAT is unmanageable. I have a 3000 sq/ft house with a big basement and my wife is constantly giving me $@!# due to basses and cases everywhere!

Cool bass in any case....

6. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanks for the info Thornton. There seems to be a lot of these Hagstroms in the Ontario market. I've seen quite a few come up for sale recently (most of them a bit older than this one and some pretty wacky models). It plays quite similar to 60s Japanese basses. Very thin and fast neck. Thornton kindly provided me a mod to upgraded the output but so far I'm pretty happy with the quality of output so far but need to play it through a couple more amps before deciding to upgrade or not.
    Reminds me of 70s Gibson EBO but in my mind much clearer and nicer tone (not like the wall of mud).
    It's getting hard fitting so many instruments I must admit. And I've got a couple upstairs as well. My wife was not too bad until last week when a visitor counted them and announced to her "your husband owns 52 guitars". Of course my wife can count but I think she was trying to ignore the exact number. But after the number was announced in her presence she did flip out quite a bit. When I see people trying to count I always discourage them because it sounds like "too many".
    Before when wife asked I would say a couple more than a few ... Now she knows the real story.

7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Congrats on the cool aquisition. About 10 years ago, I located a 1967 Concord C-2 (Deluxe) in a pawn shop in a little town named Mooresville. Had the original case too. It has the thinnest neck I've seen on a bass. I discovered that the tail piece had been replaced at some point with one that worked fine, but was not the original style. Last year, I discovered the Hagstom Parts place and bought a NOS one. It's now totally awesome!

As you've now discovered, Thornton is "da man" on Hagstom, and is willing to share his knowledge, as he has with me several times. Thanks Thornton.

Another congrats on your numerical collection. I'm afflicted with the same disease. As you know, it is a sickness, but with many rewards. My most recent purchase was last Thursday. A June 1982 Ibanez Blazer BL 800 (BY) with original case, all in superb condition. It's my 59th guitar. I've had to sell a few here and there when finances get tight, but that's life. I need to add one more to match my age!

Sorry for the bit of a hijack, but again - enjoy your H.

8. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    Hey Oren. Funny you have a 1982 Ibanez Blazer with original case (because so do I) and it's often my go-to instrument. And with over 50 that can be difficult decision to make.
    My taste is definitely 80s (would like older but too expensive to find for the most part .. or the fact that earlier Japanese basses (pre 1972ish) can be pretty crudy).
    Find a Japanese bass from the 80s for under $250 and you probably can't go wrong.

9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Hey Rat - I've reviewed some of your previous posts and see that you and I indeed have a serious affliction that there are few cures for. Ironically, we have a good many of the same, or nearly the same basses, including more than the Ibanez Blazer. Very cool.

On your Blazer case, is there any identification or writing on it?

Enjoy your 4th of July. :cool:

10. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    Beautiful! Great find.

11. I am a gear whore but after 10 instruments bass/guitar I cant keep handle of them anymore.