1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Diary of a mad bass collector .. NBD #56 Ibanez Bean Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I've been looking for Roadstar Bean bass for a bit (RB-888) There's also a Musician model (RB-999). The RB-999 have all had twisted necks or heavy mods (at least the few I've seen for sale).
    This is a real players bass .. Lots of wear and tear but the frets are in great shape still.
    Have to say this thing is a gas to play.
    So compact and light but it can blast away with the Precisions of the era.
    I find the neck thicker than any Roadstar I've played before ... at least it seems to feel thicker but not sure if that's just an effect of the small body.
    This model getting harder to find and really tough to find one in great condition. (and the case is as small as a guitar case so when the band sees you coming they may mistake you for guitar player ... not that I would ever want that too happen :rollno:

IMG_2925.
    IMG_2921.
    IMG_2923.
    IMG_2922.

Doctor Hugocat and scourgeofgod like this.
  2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I had one of these a while back I sold on the classifieds. It was a cool bass, but TINY!

3. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    have never seen one of those! very cool.

4. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I think I'm wrong about the RB-999 being the neck through Musician model. Does anyone know the difference between the RB-888 and the RB-999?
    Was the RB-888 the earlier 80s model from about 1983 and the RB-999 from about 1986?
    Would appreciate any info on the difference between the two. I can't seem to find definitive info between them.

5. Dr H

Dr H

Aug 30, 2010
    England, UK
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

6. All (or at least, a lot...) of the vintage Ibanez catalogs are here:

http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/

The RB-999 is in the '86 catalog.

7. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I own a MC888 and a RB999.
    As far as I know no Roadstars are neck throughs.
    My mc888 is neck through, black passive electronics and it could be for sale for the right price.
    If you wade through this site for awhile you can figure out a lot of information. Vintage Ibanez Guitar Catalogs - 1971 through 2007

8. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Musician 888 in hand, rb999 in the background (replacement neck)
    IMG_4434.

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats! Very nice.

Indeed. I've been looking for a while, too, and have passed on several examples that were, in my opinion, way overpriced for the instrument's condition. I still kick myself for not buying one of these new when they first came out. My consolation prize, however, is an all-original 1986 RB850 that I bought new and still play regularly. Love those Super J6 pickups.

10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    ain't they just the cutest li'l things? ;) (I keep mine stashed right by my bed.)

11. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I actually dislike the Super J6. I think that was what was in my MC924. too buzzy.
    I just detailed my back burnered Musician custom hack which included removing a super J6 and putting an ATK pickup in it's place.
    I think 86 was the last passable year from Ibanez basses... until the ATK came out. my rb999 is an 86. after that everything was soundgears which to me are the most boring pedestrian basses ever.
    If you are interested in my musician customizing check it here.
    1983 Ibanez MC924 customization advice. | TalkBass.com

12. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I bought a badly-refinished Bean body last year. I stripped it and am considering mating it with a 5-string neck, but am concerned about neck dive. How does yours balance?

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

That would be a killer travel bass!