1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Diatonic Harmony Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bass., Apr 4, 2006.

1. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    Hello. I am relatively new to this forum but had a question while reading a magazine and thought this would be a great place to ask it.
    Question:
    The magazine refrenced to diatonic harmony, it actually got quite into it, but it did not get into how it could be applied. I understand the idea of the I, IV, and V chord being major and the II, III, and the VI being minor. But how would I go about using those, the notes that they encompass and so forth, in a song/jam/practice?

It, the article, also touched on how to decipher which key the music was in based on diatonic's. And once again how could these be applied?

Thank you,
    Jamal

2. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Check out the "sticky's" at the top of this page.:bassist:

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    It's going to be really difficult to get a handle on this stuff from reading independantly and online forums. Does your high school offer a course in music theory? You might also consider finding a good teacher, specifically one who teaches jazz, whether or not you intend to study jazz with him.

4. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    yea. jazz is my main focus as of recently. and it is the main reason i ask this question. I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer though (really difficult) especially since i'm a senior and in my last few months of free school and have no job and no money. hah
    thakn you though. i'll try and look into gettinga good teacher

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    See if you can find a copy of the Mark Levine "Jazz Theory" book. Its one of the best in terms of covering music theory in easy to understand language and showing practical applications.