Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dibs: Bergantino NV610 Right for Me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    My friends, in my constantly changing band situation, I've been constantly be redoing my rig, basses, etc. I've come across a sweet deal on an NV610.

I currently have a huge Aguilar Rig which I'm in love with, but with my band recently breaking up and me starting with a new one that doesn't have a van and trailer, I can't transport my 2 Aguilar GS410's and my 16 Space (Filled) rack. So I'm going to my other rig, which is my Euphonic Audio Iamp800, but I'm questioning if I should get an NV610 to go along with that to cover all but the most demanding of volume situations (stadiums). I've played the cab before and I really like the sound of it, but I'm wondering is this just GAS talking as I already have the Aguilars. I like the fact that the NV610 is only 98lbs, I can fit it in my mazda 3 and it's a sealed cabinet (as I think they record better if you're micing cabs). I've actually always been a fan of the Ampeg 8x10 however, it's huge and cumbersome and I couldn't transport that in my car on my own.

I'm playing a new type of Rock/Funk/Ambient Music, with Pop/Blues/Jazz influence. Think Incubus meets John Mayer meets Dredg. :eyebrow:

So do you think I should spend the extra cash and get the bergie or am I just addicted to gear?

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Both.

3. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I played one at Sadowsky yesterday and it sounded awesome bro!

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yes. I love mine.

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    You'll find a whole lotta love for 'dem Bergies around here. The NV610 is awesome, but I like 15's, so I went for the NV215... :p

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you like the punch of the Ampeg 8x10 then you should be very pleased with the Bergie NV610. That's exactly why I got mine, and I'm pleased! Berg also offers the NV215 and NV425 models, which are different flavors of punchy.

7. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I agree, go for it bro.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The NV line is really excellent, IMHO. The 610 will punch through a mix, the 215 will get you under and over the mix (deep lows, great controlled high end, and fairly balanced sound overall), and the 425 will get you much of the 610's punch, but with additional low end.

Tom.

9. I can tell you from first hand experience that the Berg NV's are big cabs BUT easy as heck to move around, plus they don't take up a lot of stage in tight situations. Also, they are 'higher' for great monitoring on stage. The NV610 is a punch machine and sounds very good with a variety of amps. I've since gone a different route not ever being a tens guys, but I may soon try the NV215 or possibly a NV425 if anyone one in my area ever gets smart enough to carry the Bergs.... :bag:

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ya..I guess they are big compared to some 4-10s, but I think they are pretty darn compact for 6-10 cabs. At less than 100lbs with wheels, they are extremely easy to move around. 36 inches high and only 15 inches deep, the fit in almost any car backset.

11. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I love mine bro. Best sounding cab I've ever owned. I played through Eden for years, but the Berg made me switch. I didn't think it was possible, but it sounded so damn good.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'vwe been in the same situation. When the Sadowsky shop 1st got the Berg 610, I wasn't crazy about it. The more I played it, the more I liked it and it's the only amp I'll plug into at the shop. Of course, I wanted to buy one. Umm.. I still want one. HAHA.

When I got my Aggie BD359, I was torn between the Berg 610 and an Aggie GS410. I ended up getting the GS410 (4ohms) and I've gigged with it a couple of times and I LOVE it. IMO, I like it live alot better than my SVT-II/SVT-410HLF that I've been using live, even though I like the Ampeg when I'm home playing the amps.

I say, use the 410's. Use one at smaller places ant both at larger places and get a bigger car. :)

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm a big fan of the Bergantino NV cabs. With that said, try what you already have first. If it doesn't work for you after some time than be aware that the Berg 610 will do it for sure. I will also suggest that with your current situation musically you should really check out an Ashdown EVO500II, especially if you get the Berg NV610. That is hands down one of my favorite matches. I really wish that everyone could hear that pairing before they go out and spend money on a rig.

14. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I agree, I would much rather move a nv cab that a lighter 410 cab. To me, the nv cabs are easy to move.

15. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    *Off Topic*
    What in the world do you fill up 16 rackspaces with?

16. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you really want to know?

:D

- Korg DTR 2000
    - SKB 4-Space Rack Drawer
    - Sennheiser Wireless Unit
    - Blank Spacer
    - Furman PL-II Plus V
    - Blank Spacer
    - Aguilar DB680
    - Aguilar DB680
    1/2 space gap for air
    -Avalon U5
    -Avalon U5
    1/2 space gap for air
    -Crest CA-9
    -Crest CA-9

= 16 spaces! I like to have a few spaces for circulation and air, but it's also just in case I ever want to get a used DB728

This rig can be yours for the low cost of 3 billion dollars.

17. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I'll take two... :D

18. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't say stuff like that, can't you see I have GAS problems enough. :help:

19. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oddly enough, i've found that 1 GS410 by itself sometimes struggles to meet my volume requirements, hence why I bought 2. I love the way they sound, but I definitely need 2 when playing, as I feel I'm not pushing each cab as hard. I've had 2 blown speakers when I was running 1 GS410 and after I bought the 2nd, I've had 0 blown speakers in the GS410's.

I'm hoping to get a unique tone out of the NV610 (a little different than the GS410) and something that is 1/2 the weight as my 2 GS410's while still meeting close to the same volume requirements.
    Those of you who own the NV610, how well do you think it holds up under higher volume requirements and handles the Low B?

Oh, and a review of Nino's Valenti #15 should be ready in about a week. :D

20. Unless I'm missing something, that's alot more than 16 spaces.....