Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dice Knobs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matty-Bass, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass

Mar 13, 2005
    Edmonton
    I'm a newb at screwing with my bass, but I was wondering. I wanna take off my old knobs whichi just slide off and would it be easy to take a few dice, drill a hole in them and put them on? If the hole is tight enough they shouldn't slide rite?

I'm really frugal, I just don't wanna pay american prices for a set of dice knobs than pay shipping on top of that. what do you think?

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Should work just fine, if you need to make them tight, just put some finger nail polish in the hole first and slide them one and let it dry.

3. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass

Mar 13, 2005
    Edmonton
    thats a good idea. Would I still be able to take them off? Just in case I swap between knobs.

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Yeah, but it would be a one time deal, also be very careful when you put the knobs on as to not spill any polish.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    nail polish isnt nessecary, ive done this many times. Just get lots of dice to figure out exactly what size hole u should drill, and make sure its very straight. drilling into the 1 dot is the easiest. They fit snug and will come off if u want them to.

6. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass

Mar 13, 2005
    Edmonton
    Hey. Ya I got it good now. Two are snug and dont slide, but one knob slips a bit so i just added a few drops of epoxy. It's hard using epoxy so if the other two get lose I'll add it but not now. And they aren't dead straight because I wanted all the 5's facing up, so they don't spin on a perfect circle, but its close enough no one will really notice. :cool:

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Why fives up?

8. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Maybe it's a five string bass.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They make dice knobs, why not buy pre made ones?

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Instead fo using glue/nail polish/whatever, just drill a small hole in the side, tap it, and get a set screw to fit.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    He said he's too cheap to.

*shrug* Apparently it worked. Pics?

12. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Yeah, sounds fun, I'd be interested in looking.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nope, it absolutely won't work.

No dice. :bag: