1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dichotomia: Are you a P or a J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raman, Feb 10, 2019.

1. P

279 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. J

175 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    P for me I think, but I'm a flip flop guy. I play my P and I love it. Then I play my Ray and I love it. Then I play my fretless Yammy and I love that. Then I play my P again and I love it. Fortunately I don't have a J otherwise......But TBH I don't like them, too thin sounding for my ear. YMMV

2. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    Choosing one option as my favorite and sticking to it, MY ONE WEAKNESS!

Can't do it.

I might, if pressed, admit to being a split-coil stingray with the pickup located slightly closer to P position than normal, but only if it's a boutique wind with lots of airy midrange. I only have one bass that's not modded, and that's an Ibanez Iceman, which I think actually has firebird guitar pickups in it and is already so amazingly weird and fun I can't imagine how I'd want to change it, aside from maybe adding an antigravity device to the headstock. Out of (haven't counted lately) at least 8 electric basses, no two have the same pickup combination.

Might as well force me to choose blonde or brunette.

(Yeah I voted "P".)

I used to think that too, then I put Muy Grande pickups in and suddenly I kind of liked it, then I put flats on, and for the last few years a passive Fernandez J is my go-to for just about every occasion. I still hate J's, I just play one all the time because it sounds and plays so good. YMMV, too right.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    I always wanted to be a P but ended up a J. And I've embraced that.

4. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    Rickenbacker

5. PJ but if I had only 1, a P... and neither band.. Sabbath. Almighty.

6. I can't decide... IMG_3010.JPG

Timmah, Yammybass and tb4sbp like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm P with occasional J tendencies, so I mostly use a PJ. And no, I don't give a crap if it doesn't sound 100% identical to a J. Close enough. And I also don't buy into that "J ruins the P sound" nonsense, either. Maybe a dog could tell, but dogs only occasionally come to my gigs.

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    This is a tough one. I love how P's play with effects, especially drives and fuzzes. But I like the way the J cuts more and has more tonal options. And the J is more similar to a single bucker IMO. My main player is an ATK 300. There really isn't any other bass like it. It's got the low end of a P, attack that goes above and beyond a P but it has a sound all it's own.

But I ended up picking J in your poll.

9. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I think the most common qualifier for that bass is "versatile". That's in part what attracted me to it.
    Though it's by nature more of a J (especially compared to it's cousin the M2500), I also often play with only the neck pup in passive to get that P tone.

10. It's like being asked to choose between an axe and a bread knife.

I could get by with one or the other, but I'd rather not.

If I had to pick one, I'll take a J with an S1 switch. That lets you get fairly close to a P tone.

11. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I have a knack for creating controversies on TB....

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. I with him ^^^^ :)

A P/J is it's own sound, and it's a good one. Guys that expect one or the other or some of both set themselves up for disappointment.
    But if the choice is P or J, I'll take a P any day.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I was always a P guy. They sound incredible! But the spacing on a std p was getting to be too much. After years of going from different great makers of the P style I have settled down with a nice J. I used to buy into the P cuts through and the mids debates but that is was eq and fx' are for. I still sound like me and it is the body and style and sound that I have been chasing <for now!>

14. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    cant vote as i am both :thumbsup: ;) :D

15. Raman

Raman Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I see that the non-binary fad in sexuality also exists in the realm of Fender orientation...
    :)

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Yeah man!
    +1

17. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Some tgings aren't meant to be split. I absolutely love my P, but couldn't love without my J.

Edit: Huh meant to write "live" but I am nlt even going to correct it. Too deep.

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    No. :)

Passinwind likes this.
  19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You had me at Fender! Yel_wink.

I just remembered that a European luthier who makes bazillion string instruments once referred to one of mine as a "Jazz Bass." Let's see: humbuckers with neo magnets, neck through construction, 2 +2 angled headstock w/ no string trees, no pickguard or control plate...really? I mean yeah, two pickups and a double cutaway, but really?

Raman and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I seem to be in a minority that thinks a J neck and P, given the variations in pickups for each that are available, and the ability to use EQ, and different strings that it doesn't really matter that much which you have. With a J or PJ you have extra options, but then ditto PP or PMM or JMM. To me the biggest differences between PJ and JJ practically are how well they sit on a stand and sometimes where the jack goes.