Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dick Dale

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Apr 16, 2002.

1. I might have a chance to go see Dick Dale next month. Anyone seen him recently? Does he put on a pretty good show? I mean, he is the man when it comes to surf music.

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Cool! I love Dick Dale. The pulp fiction theme is so cool.

3. Well, I went last night, and it was well worth it. Sump Pump Monkeys was one opening band; they played surf. They were all right. A rockabilly band from Cleveland, the Lords of the Highway, played next. Great stuff. The bassist played upright (left handed, which I thought was odd) and sang, and we all know there's nothing sexier than a woman with a bass.
    Next, of course, was the man himself. Backed by a bassist and a drummer, he gave a great show. I expected plenty of guitar-wanking, since this was Dick Dale, so I wasn't too bothered by that. He's really into putting on a show in general- during one song's solo break, he soloed on the guitar, then the drums, then played the bassist's bass with drum sticks, then he played trumpet. (And yes, he actually can play trumpet. Simple blues call and response kinda stuff, but good tone and some growlin'). He was on a wireless, so he walked around the venue's floor for a while, and out to the lobby. (I think he kissed about every girl he could while doing so.) So yeah, I got to watch Dick Dale play guitar from less than 3 feet away. He sang a lot more than I thought he would, but that's all cool. Lot of blues songs. Other Dick Dale moments include "Dick Dale is pressured into taking a shot of Jim Beam from audience member (with much swearing "@#$#@! Quit makin' a big deal about it!")", and "Dick Dale forgets how to use an electronic tuner (What, do I just click it? Man, I don't know! My strings are upside down and backwards.)" Which was another thing, he plays left-handed, but doesn't reverse his strings, so his low E is closed to the floor. Some solid bass playing (I want a P-bass now) with a few solos, and an acoustic set. He played for over 2 hours (almost 2 AM when he was done), and his encore was probably about 4-6 songs.
    Also, despite his apparent arrogance in interviews and such, he's really pretty cool. Just sat at the stage after the show and invited anyone who wanted to to say hey to him. He talked with everyone, (well, the girls a lot more), and signed autographs. Check him out if you get the chance.