Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did a gig with my "mini" Eden rig lastnight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Smallish room, only about 100 people.... House band at a local Jam night....

Turned up with a buddy of mine ( Guit@rist ) he grabbed my basses and toolbox, I got my WT550 in one hand and my 210XST in the other, Whalla, Load in done!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

They had a 15 inch Gauss box there but I just used that as a stand for the 210... It Rawwwked!!!!! :bassist: :bassist:

Plenty of Ooomph for the room too, No more taking the full stack ( 210XST+212XLT ) to that room anymore....

Was extra better at load out time too ( 2am ).. :)

I think you guys might be onto something with your "Mini" rigs!!

Cheers,

Dan

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Try it sometime with an Epi 310UL (47lbs) and an AI Focus.
    (4.5lbs) Killer rig with easy one trip carry. Yes, there is
    something to be said for light weight, mini rigs.

3. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Haven't even seen any of that gear in Oz......

Considering myself purty darn lucky to have the stuff I have considering the costs out here!!!!!

Anyhoo, enuf of my whinging...

D

4. Quite a while ago, the first small rig I ever owned that I felt I could do a loud pop gig with was the Eden400+ and the 210XLT... very similar to your rig. So, I know what you mean... very cool.

5. I used a CXC-110 w/my upright at the evening church service(actually some very upbeat, guitar/drum-heavy rock stuff- no problem). It screams! I have to return this one & have it replaced(Damaged in shipping- I 'fixed' it, but I want a good one; I'm waiting on a shipping label right now), but at least I got a chance to try it out live. I so love this rig! I call it the giant-killer. I also grabbed a CX-110 extension cab, for *festival events*. Can't wait to crank the whole deal up! :bassist:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I know what you mean. I blew off the guys with the mini-rigs for years. I figured they were sissies. Decided to try it out once just to see, and I quickly unloaded my stadium tour rig and went for it. :D

That rig you have looks to be really nice. I like the XST cabs alot, and that amp is excellent. Congrats, and welcome aboard.

-Mike

7. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i use my 210xst alone too. its very nice

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    More and more people are coming to "the light side" of bass rigs. With, and many times without, PA support, all you need is a "mini" rig.

I use an Eden WT-550 head and a Bergantino HT112 cab for all my gigs. It sounds fantastic and gets pretty darn loud. Very easy load in and out.

The rest of them will soon see the ways of the light side.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Did you switch to that from a bigger rig? If so, what were you using?

-Mike

10. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I now use a Markbass Little Mark head (5.7lbs) and a Markbass Traveller 102P 2x10 (33lbs).
    My power/pre set up weighed more than that. I don't miss carrying the Eden 410xlt either !

11. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    Even with my speed metal band, my minirig is amazing! AG500 w/ Berg HT/EX stack. Since most gigs have PA support, I just turn up the gain enough to where it ain't clipping and adjust volume for stage backfill, usually around 10 or 11 o' clock, and the Bergs can handle that with ease. Looks real cute next to the 200lb +/- Ampeg stacks, but sounds killer! Especially that dist. channel with just a little grit :bassist: .

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My mini rig is a 2x12 of my own design. Like Danm, I carry it in one hand, usually with my bass in the other hand. I don't have a guitarist-come-roadie to carry anything for me, so I need do a second trip to get my amp, pedals, and bag'o'chords. I'm happy with 2 trips, especially since niether trip requires too much effort or muscle.

For big gigs I add... well.... nothing! It's a 1,400W monster which can keep up with most bands an overpower PA systems, even though my current amp is only 400W.

Needless to say, it wasn't cheap, but I'm happy.

I've actually got my eye on one of those lightweight Markbass amps. But I'll wait until my current amp dies which on current form, won't be for a long time yet.

And Dan, Epi and AI may not be comon but are both available in Austr.

13. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I have a 212XLT as well but didn't feel like lugging the extra box.... I'll still use a combination of both tho... As the mood takes me I guess...

14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Mine isn't exactly small, but same concept. I carry an Epifani 410UL in one hand, my rack with a QSC PL 218 in the other, and a bass on my back in a ritter gig bag (backpack straps). Very light. Very loud too.

15. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    You guys are bunch of girls :bag:

Seriously though...I'm going in the mini-rig direction too. I'm saving for a WT550 right now to go with my new cabs. I just traded my Genz Benz 210 & 115 setup for 2 Bag End S15's. Not only do they sound incredible, they are smaller and lighter. I love it. So cute looking, yet so monstrous in tone. :bassist:

16. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    ...that´s also my current setup. Can´t believe what this little cab can do.
    The best thing about it is that i can take the subway instead of my car and drink more after the gig :p

17. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Gigged my mini rig tonight, Avatar 112 with a first generation SWR 350 in one of them rack baggie things. Yippee! One trip (ok, the old lady lugged the bass) plenty of volume, and my body doesn't hurt!

The smartest chain of thought to gain popularity for bass players has been the movement towards easier to tote gear. Unless one is playing the sort of job where staging takes precedence, small good stuff is king, period. It is through our insistance that it had to get better that the improvements have taken place. Think about this: I play in Wisconsin, little wheels suck in snow. Really suck. Try tipping the crap over into a snowbank suck. This isn't funny at bar time at 20 below zero. Been there. Stuff I can carry gets used, stuff I got to roll is now history.

It truly brings joy to me to see the great sounding yet easy to transport choices today. As us boomers get creakier, we are less likely to want to keep playing if it means dragging out the 'fridge. Hey, it hurts.

18. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I've actually been throwing around the idea of getting an eden 210xst to lighten up on the rig (because I really have never had to use my rig to anywhere close to full potential). But I think I'd be kicking myself if I got rid of my SVT 410ca4, and I definantly don't have the moeny for both right now. Oh well I've always got my crate combo.

19. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    The XST Kicks freckle!!!!!

20. That's a post that mirrors my situation. I spent many, many years attempting to get a great sound in a lightweight rig that until very recently meant a small rig. I went through Eden210's, a bunch of EA cabs, Acme's, etc.... all great sounding cabs and most capable of doing all but the largest gigs... However.... there's just nothing that puts out bottom, volume and punch like a big box... I guess it's just the physics of the thing (the famous 'you can have 2 of 3 things... small, loud or low').

So, the EpifaniUL line (and now other manufacturers coming out with high quality, great sounding Neo cabs) has finally fixed the problem.... I can have large, loud and low... and still light. I do like my little Schroeder 1210, but it's not that much lighter than the amazing Epi410UL..... I even use that 410 on many smaller gigs due to its ease of carrying. Also, it's tall and large enough to make it easy to roll (I have the optional removable castors)... so it's really the best of all worlds... 90% of the time I put my small head (either the TF or WW Ultra) on top of it and roll it in. For those rare occasions of snow, ,etc.. I can lift it with one hand and carry over a short distance with no problem. Life is very good! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

PS the other amazing thing is that the 410UL is lighter than most of those small boxes were back in the day!