Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did ampeg make guitar amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowner, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I may buy a 50 watt ampeg amp from a guy at a flea market but the guy does not know whether or not its a guitar or bass amp. Its a really good price but if its a guitar amp and I play bass thru it I am going to destroy it. So did ampeg make guitar amps? Also is there some way to tell if its a bass or guitar amp?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They did, a 50 watter might be a Rocket, if it's open back, or has reverb or tremolo it's a guitar amp.

3. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    They made some neat guitar amps... get the model number and look it up and you can find out what it was made for :thumb:

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I actually have one - the SS-70C. It's a two channel, solid state, 70W amp with two 10" Celestions, reverb, and built in chorus. I bought it used about 6 years ago for $70. It's not that bad an amp actually.

5. Head or combo? Tubes? If it's a head, and it's got tubes, who cares. Use a bass cab and you'll be fine, as long as you like distortion.

6. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
  7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Ampeg made used to make a lot of different guitar amps, but now they only make a few called the "diamond blue" series. http://www.ampeg.com/products.htm?catid=20

Look on that flea market amp for a model number, possibly on the back and re-post.

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Ampeg made guitar combos way back to the 60s all the way to this day. Amps like the Reverbrocket among others are more popular.

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Actually they started making guitar amps in the mid 50's, believe it or not! :eek:

10. I just bought an Ampeg guitar amp (G-100) for teaching with and its a great amp. 1970s. solid state, very clean sounds.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, you can always disconnect the internal speakers and hook it up to a bass cab. Is it tube or transistor?

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Did they ever. The little Portaflex bass combo is a stunning guitar amp.

13. Ampeg's GEMINI amps are totally amazing - we used one on the last Stapleton album and it was fantastic. Ian Mackaye plays one in the Evens as well (incase anyone 'indie' rates that) and there are lots kicking about in various DC bands that I've seen.

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    My lil' SB-12 is actually an amazing harmonica amp, even if it totally sucks for bass.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    When I was in a rock band (1980), the guitarist had a shop install a master volume on his little 1x12 Portaflex, and it opened up a lot more possibilities for distortion.

16. One of my band's guitar players has a new Ampeg Reverberocket, 50 watt, all tube. It sounds amazing. I would reccomend them to anyone interested in a good guitar amp.

17. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    If it's 50 watts, it's not a "rocket" series guitar amp, unless it's something that's been made in the past few years.

Ampeg has made some very cool guitar amps; very different from anything on the market.

The ampeg reverbarocket was the first amp available with on-board reverb, I believe in 1960 or late 59. One of the crown jewels of my collection is a 64 "super echo twin", basically two reverbarockets in one box.

18. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Ampeg now makes newer Reverbrockets like this that do sound good, but pretty different than thier vintage bretheren.

I would like to hear ampeg's vintage guitar stuff from the early 60's I'm sure they'd sound great. :bassist:

19. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    Amen!
    I thought it was just me but I think the Port a Flex ,B15n or what evers was over rated.You could not push them.I was very disapointed in mine.It was cute with the flip top and all but you can't crank it past 4 and have it sound good.
    The V4B's were the same way.Distorted way too early.
    Thats why the SVT's were and are still so popular.I don't know abot all the variations of the original that are around ,but
    with Eden's costing $1700 for a 2 10 combo,(then you have to add an extention cabinet, another $600) it makes sense to find a old SVT and sit it on a 4 -10 Harke and smile.
    Nothing I like better than making the drumer sick from the low end.

20. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    In general, if it has an open back cabinet and/or reverb...it's a guitar amp.

As for you question "So did Ampeg make guitar amps?"; the answer is yes, they did and they still do! If you look at the Products section of www.ampeg.com the "Blue Diamond Lead" series is current production...

Please make sure you tell us which amp it is...

Good luck!