Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did any of you find this happened when you sarted learning the bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Jan 11, 2002.

1. when i started learning the bass i always played with the strap as low as it could go, partly for show but i did actually find it easier aswell

but over the years (well just over 2 :D) my band members have been noticing that my strap is getting higher and higher, at the moment i'm playing it with the lowest point in the center at the top of the bass :) is in between my man breasts ;)

did n e 1 else notice this when they started playing? the wierd thing is i didn't notice until some1 else mentioned it.

2. Yeah me too. Ive only been playing for 6 mounths now but when i started out, i played with the strap as low as it could go. And also mostly for show. But over the mounths i forgot about impressing other people, but impress myself. So i put my strap up to where the lowest point is at the top of my hip. And its alot more comfortable and eaiser to play there.

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I play since 2 years now and i keep on playing with the strap as low as possible ...
    I thinks it's more confortable it suits me more ...

4. depends what i'm playing. if i'm playing punk, or music that really doesnt need much movement in the bass parts (also see "boring"), i'd be using a pick probably, and then i'd lower the strap, because i find it easyer to play with the bass lower by my crotch so that i can strum in the style that i do with a pick (a lot if not identical to the struming style of mark hoppus). But if i'm playing real bass parts, where i'm actually playing fills ect. (also see "fun"), i'll hype up the strap almost all the way up, so its about half over the upper part of my stomach, and the other half of the bass is over my lower rib cage. I find it easyer to play with it at that level.

But by coinsidence i happend to start out only playing punk, and now have moved on... but ocasionally somone will ask me to sit in and play punk... and well... yeah...

5. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    My bass has been at the same hight for 7 years now. The top of the bass is pretty much right at my hip. If I play finger style or Slap just for fun, I sit down.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah, it's happenned to me too. Also I used to position my right hand over the neck pickup, but now I favor the bridge pickup.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Higher, higher!

When I was younger, I thought that lower was cool. But as my desire for more chops developed, I discovered that it is much easier on the left hand to play the bass higher. Also leads to more right hand accuracy when slapping.

When I play my Peavey Cirrus 6, I have to strap it on insanely high if I want to play intricate stuff with my left hand, and because of the tight string spacing at the bridge, I can't slap with it too low either.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Started with the top part of the bass about @ belt buckle height. Played like that-left wrist started to hurt-read some threads on here, said raise bass will help make it go away. Bass higher now. Right now the bottom of the basses are about belly button or a few inches above or right @ belt buckle height. It's easier on the left hand and better position for me on the right hand-can move it more and get different feels easier. all that IMO. thats all

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ever see Keith Horne with Trisha Yearwood? He wears his like a bow-tie.

10. I dont know who the band was... but they opend for oysterhead...

The bass player was a BIG guy... had to be like 6ft, 400lbs, anyways, he wore his basses (really nice tobias') way up there... i'd never seen a bass higher if i can recall correctly... you could imagine he had "man boobs"... and his bass was on the upper portion of them... it might as well have been right at his chin. I still have no clue how he was able to put on the bass over his head.

11. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    I have moved my bass higher also. Mainly because when I started playing bass, I was into punk and that stuff. But, as time passed, I started to get into good bands with talented bass players, and I need my bass to be higher if I am going to play more difficult songs.

12. tibi81

tibi81

Jul 20, 2001
    I have been playing for 6 months and I keep my strap pretty low i play punk music so i find it easier to play that way which is quicker with a pick because its lower.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I play mine low, but not really low....I'm comfortable there, actually...

14. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I used to play with my bass around my chest to upper stomach area, now it is around my neck. just kidding. I haven't ever raised my bass (probably because my straps have never went any higher). But the angle of my bass changes. First it was mainly horizontal. Then, the angle changed and changed, until now where i mainly play DB.

15. Mine migrated south right off the bat, and decided that the climate was better. It never gets above my hips. I LIKE it low.:D

Rock on
    Eric

16. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    My right hand has also moved to the bridge pickup where as I use to use the neck or even closer to the fretboard. I also find my thumb resting on the E srting (when I'm not on it). Kinda weird.

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    How do you sart?

18. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used to play with my bass low when I first started(Two years ago) but I got so used to playing sitting down in front of my computer that I play with my bass over my stomech now. Much easier in my personal opinion, and I think it looks beter on me like that!

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, my strap floated up and down the first few years i played too. it's been pretty constant for over a decade now, though. shoot, most of the straps on my 7's aren't even adjustable. guess i'm just an old dog :D.

20. Started playing punk, hand the strap low, but I never played with a pick, so it didn't stay low for long. Nowadays, since I'm not currently in a band, I sit and play.