Did anyone else get a late start playing music?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by etb67, Oct 12, 2005.

1. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Hi all, newb on board. I'm 38, recently my wife decided that I had entirely too much free time on my hands and suggested that I take up some sort of hobby. She was probably thinking golf, or maybe fishing. Instead I bought a co-workers Gibson Les Paul bass, an Ampeg BA112 combo on Ebay, and a Mel Bay How-to book. I am now fumbling my way toward greatness :bassist: I can't believe I waited this long to play music, but I am having a great time. Did anyone else start late?
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I took a decade off to focus on my "career". Jeez what a waste of time that was.

Welcome to TB.
  3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Now I'm 42. Yet ,I never got into listening to too much music so I never learned much as far as 80-90's type stuff . I learned church music and that sort of thing but not pop culture .
    I still feel I'm behind the times somewhat in that regard.
    Your never too old. What you do with your talent and skills is to satisfy your desire for self expression. Eventually others will notice and might enjoy your music also. Start with your self and then your kids.
  4. I didn't start till I was almost done with college. Don't buy into the idea that there is a "too old." Good luck and have fun with it!
  5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Played all through high school, put it down when I was 21. Picked it back up again, out of the blue, when I was 33. And, I've been gigging 3-4 night a month (avg.) ever since. That was 10 years ago this past august. Holy Crap, I'm old :) :bassist:
  6. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Now.... i have played guitar mostly for over 30 years...but alot of hacking and playing the same songs and chords. From 25 to 35 i rarely played and didnt own a guitar or bass at all... Bass fishing was my game.I always loved the guitar and swore if i ever got rich i would own a roomfull (still wish) I got into bass at 35 and retired from Bass fishing...i since have been working on playing and as of a couple of months ago had my first 2 auditions for bass in two classic rock bands...got offered both gigs :D and play in a band now who is getting ready to hit the scene real soon.....i am 43 going on 44 the winter and i'm really for the first time in my life getting going in the right direction musicly...you are never to old...gosh look at the stones!
  7. etb67

Oct 12, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. Anybody else got any stories about starting late, I'd like to hear 'em. In the meantime, I'm on the lookout for a good instructor.
  8. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    The first instrument I picked up was the bass guitar. Two years ago at age 53. Looking back, it probably couldn't have happened any other way. I'm having a ball, absolute killer on "My dog has fleas".
    I figure my first gig will be in the retirement home, where everyone will be deaf and it won't matter.

Relax, enjoy, progress.

9. I started at 26.

It's never late to play BUT it is late IF you want to be with a band playing... why?

From personal experience, by that time musical alliances are set in stone and other bassists are already well known and relied upon rather than allow someone else. Hard to catch up to the well known guy.

I can tell because you have the same bassist play for three even four different bands! Anybody else is left out even if their style perfectly fits a particular band.

You need that friend from youth. Most bands have that.

I don't have musical friends, therefore I'm out.

But I still enjoy my lil' toy at home... this toy from Fender called a Jazz Bass...
  10. That's true to an extent, but if you are an older and less well known bassist, you can still find a way to do it. For one thing, there are always guys who "used to play" before they got run over by the real world, that are now entering a time in their life where they can afford a little more free time to do music again.

In other words, if you are an older bassist without a great network of musicians, start your own band and find the guys you want to play with!

Heck, maybe even find another guy who wants to learn an instrument. The drummer in my KISS band has only been playing for two and a half years and started when he was 31.

I needed a dependable drummer, so I made one!
  11. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Agreed....see my post above...i'm 43 and just landed to gigs with Classic rock bands. Both bands were older cats who have been around a long time and still jam out. Maybe its the area you live ..here we have a shortage of bassists and many gig with several since the need is there. Since i took the offer from my band i continued to get calls and know of three more bands looking for bassists...age and the music might be tied...i doubt any headbangers or punk kids would want me in their bands but i wouldnt play in them anyways.
  12. toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    played for a couple years in high school, stupidly sold my bass to buy a car, picked it up again at 38 now 40, no gigs just noodle in the garage but gettin better and having fun.
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Considering some of my competition for auditioning to McGill, I consider my starting age (14) pretty damn late...:eek:
  14. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree. The last "friend" band I was in broke up in 1999. I've managed to keep myself pretty busy playing with "stangers" ever since. Had another audition last night, you just need to be competent and get yourself out there. Throw enough poo against the wall, somethings bound to stick.
  15. etb67

Oct 12, 2005
    Yeah, that's why I was thinking that it would be a good idea to take some lessons at one of the smaller schools around here. The obvious reason being to learn and develop some technique, but also maybe to network with other students and/or teachers. It certainly couldn't hurt.
  16. I guess I started bass late ...

I started violin at 18.
    I started mandolin at 21.
    I started keyboards at 24 ... and played in bands till I was 30.

Life got in the way, until I was 40 ... that is when I started playing bass ... I was a bass player in a keyboardists skin all along. Where I come from there are tons of bass and guitar players, but not alot of keyboard players. I got gigs because I was in demand.

Now I'm 45, and the bass is my primary instrument ... I still play the others, and I fumble around on guitar too, but bass is #1.

I expect I will be playing until arthiritis (sp?) won't let me do it anymore. I believe that if I keep exercising my fingers, I might be able to play forever. :D

Never to old to play ... :bassist:
  17. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I started fairly early, just wish I played earlier, like I played sax in 4th grade then quite. Forgot everything, then picked up bass when I was 12.
  18. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    retirement homes eh?
    It's also the best way to pick up women. They don't put up much of a fight ;)

Ba da Ching!... I know.. uncalled for, but I thought it was funny.
  19. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I started at 3 years old.
  20. pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    I started at 22, im 23 now and having fun. Who knows if I would have progressed as fast or even kept with it if I had started in my teens or younger, so I am glad I waited.