Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did anyone else notice that....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHack, Jul 27, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The Vans Warped Tour is being promoted by CLEAR CHANNEL?

***???

I thought, the Vans Warped Tour was supposed to be the center piece for X-Games sports, & punk rock... *** are they doing near Clear Channel,,, the supposed savior of the airwaves,,, cleaning up the smut & filth, etc... They're all buddy buddy w/ the FCC, & stuff... the Same Clear Channel that took Howard Stern off the air,,, because he was too,,,whatever.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hairy??

brad cook

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    hehe...

My point really isn't about Howard Stern,, altho he is hairy.

My point IS, isn't PUNK supposed to be about sticking it in the face of "the man", etc... AND that Clear Channel is probably the single biggest ass-kissing proponent of "the man" in broadcasting & promoting....

Its like selling out, in epic proportions....

4. Poseurs don't care about that Shiat. dude, punk has been dead since 1979....

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You do realize that you've been using "Punk" and "Warped Tour" together with a straight face?

6. Now how can you tell that?

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I guess you're right... I guess it really has become, all about the look,, & that's all...

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "Has become?"

9. Something as big as the Vans Warped Tour is not about the music.

It's about $$$$.

Ah, youthful idealism.

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    baba beat me to it.

it's all about money

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    yeah seriously. that was old punk. new punk is all about being whiney. probably the same people whining about Howard Stern in fact. with that point of view, i would think that the Warped Tour and ClearChannel are a match made in heaven. LOL

arguably, the most talented band that is on the bill is the one you rarely hear anyone mention...long live Flogging Molly!

12. And Bad Religion, back in the day....

I'm not surprised about the Clear Channel connection. Once is and ever was a money ploy. Nothing this big is ever indie, never DIY...gotta front the money to get the acts to pay for the venue to make more money.

money money money money....money (think Bowie)

13. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I still would have like to go (I read an article on the Calgary show and the lead singer of Coheed was hammered and got booed off the stage. I hate his voice to I wish I was there).

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    This reminds me of a skit off of The Daily Show.

Some reporter guy was interviewing this "punk" with a skull painted on his face, who was a pro bush guy. Anyway at the end he had a survay done about what people think punk is demacratic or reblitican(SP?) and the answer was "90% said "I thought it died in the 80's""

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I hate to break it to you, but the most punk band out there is Blink182.

Seriously.

16. Warped is a lame tour pretty much, but even though its lame Bad Religion is still the best band ever and I'll see them everytime they come to town.

Rise Against and Flogging Molly are great too. My Chemical Romance and Thursday are alright

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    We're playing the Orlando date on the 28th of July.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Decent radio has been dead a bit longer than that.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't think it's possible to see Flogging Molly live and not have the most fun of your entire life.

20. Decent radio died when Journey got big.