Did anyone ever buy an amp and find the fan too noisy.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnDL, Jul 28, 2019.

1. JohnDL

JohnDL

Apr 27, 2019
    West Wales, UK
    I bought a Hiwatt B150 combo because I was having bad problems with my rig. This Hiwatt sounds nice, looks great but the fan is too noisy. Well it was dirt cheap so I can live with it. Anyhow, when I heard the fan I suddenly remembered the exact same fault on a Laney amp I'd owned several years earlier. I kicked myself for not remembering that fan and to check before buying. Although I don't know how you find out over the internet if the fan is too loud. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It was common years ago, not so common today

3. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    Fan quality is not a constant. Some have cheap bearings that will result in more noise than other models. There may also be cost cutting in mounting ie they're rigidly mounted to solid surfaces which transmit the vibrations.

You could try a quality brand name fan and make sure it's on rubber vibration isolating mounts. Also worth noting that a larger fan will work more effectively than a smaller one for a given RPM, though I'm assuming you can't change that. I would hope they put the largest fan that can fit already.

Also, does it have any speed control? As in, it gets faster when the amp gets hotter?

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Depends on your definition of 'too loud'.

For pretty much any application other than micing the speaker in the studio it should never be audible over the sound of your bass through the amp.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Many complained about the early Mesa Walkabout fans. I never thought they were all that loud though, and I still own one.

oranje likes this.
  6. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Not going to tell you how I know this but some people get really upset if you mention the fan noise of their favorite amp.

7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Peavey MiniMax has a louder than usual fan in both V1 and V2 models . However if there is any noise at all in the room you can not really hear it. But it does sound something like a Humidifier running or something just above ambient room noise. So it would be too loud for recording a cab with a mic but for any other use it is fine.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  8. Older Ashdown also had noisy fans

9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Trace Elliot ELF had a very noisy fan.

Mushroo likes this.
  10. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I have a Vietnam built Ampeg SVT6pro with a fan that gets very loud when it fully kicks in (it's rpm staged based on thermal load).
    Is it loud ... yes, is it too loud to use the amp for live work ? ... heck no :laugh:

I have a gen2 Walkabout. I did do the fan mod on it, but the original fan, while audible if you were right on top of the amp, was not unusabe even in a studio/recording situation.

11. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Fan ... what is this fan you speak of?

67F24A4F-A07D-47A8-B213-7154E6495F9C.jpeg

12. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yep, mine does and I hate that when recording mixed acoustic / electric live. Love the amp, need to replace that fan....

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    The fan in my U.S. SVT Classic is noisy.

ultra60 likes this.
  14. Bartrinsic

Bartrinsic Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2018
    San Diego
    Older GK MB Fusion 800 made quite a whir so I let it go. Quilter BB800 also makes a whir as well as adding some hiss to the signal, but not too bad for a live setting.

15. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1 there. I was about to say the exact same thing. I got one of the newly designed 2019 MiniMax amps. I love the way it looks and the way it sounds. Yeah, the fan is noisy, but for my purposes I can live with it. I'll take a noisy fan over a smoking overheated amp.

16. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    1st amp I ever owned that had a fan was a Traynor YBA-3 with a single 8x10 cab. Fan wasn't too loud but the amp would take a dump about once a week. It spent more time in the shop than on the stage.

17. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I've been meaning to post a thread about this. Idk what generation my Walkabout is other than that it was made no later than '06. Silverface, one input jack with passive/active switch, black non-metallic cab corners, 12" speaker with a mesh dome, fan runs non-stop and is in good order but does run rather noisy when not at band volume.

So is the fan supposed to run non-stop or not?:)

Sorry for the hijack.

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Fan runs all the time.

19. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    It did?
    Were you gigging with it or only using it at home?
    I have never noticed the fan on mine:thumbsdown:

20. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Thanks AG! I saw your post in another thread yesterday about contacting Mesa with my serial # regarding updates and such. Never thought of doing that so ty.

So now I'm curious. What's the fan mod then?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021