Did anyone ever buy an amp and find the fan too noisy.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnDL, Jul 28, 2019.

1. PJMustangFreak

PJMustangFreak Commercial User

Dec 12, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsed by WristGrips
    Yep! My MESA Walkabout. Great amp, though.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

Did anyone ever buy an amp and find the fan too noisy.
    define "too noisy." thanks.

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    :roflmao: I own two SVTs and yes the fans are obnoxiously loud (IMHO). Also, I have not ever come across an amp in good working order with a louder fan

bobyoung53 and Son of Wobble like this.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I had a Peavey Tour 450 amp that was fine at stage volume but the noisy fan was maddening at low volume at home. Thankfully i had a small practice amp. I thought the Peavey was defective and returned it for another one and it was the same way. I used it until i ran across a killer deal on a BX 500 and sold the Peavey.

5. Ampeg SVT micro head, sounded awesome and was very cool. Except for the damn fan...

6. Yes... mine sounds like the bearings are shot. But I am not sure they are, lol.

Kmonk likes this.
  7. Skillet

Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Some noisy fans can slip past QA. I had both a PF-500 and a PF-800. The 500's fan was much much louder than it's big brother. I bought a "silent" type computer fan that was the same size and it became whisper quiet.

Sure it doesn't matter at a gig, but for playing at lower volumes at home it can be a nuisance.

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    fan mod is replacing the stock Mesa fan with a Silenx fan (the specific model number is around TB somewhere) that has about the same air-flow specs as the stock fan (Cubic Feet Per Min .. CFM) but is much quieter than stock. Easy mod to do, 2 wires and your done. Works great.

caution, the fan mod may void your warranty, but yours is the same rev as mine, so your 5 year warranty is over anyway.

Heavy Blue and JohnDL like this.
  9. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    It’s easy and cheap to replace noisy fans.

hathwaysbassist likes this.
  10. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    Fan noise is the reason I sold my Mesa M9 Carbine. The fan noise was acceptable in a live setting, but when it became an always-on home studio pre-amp, the fan noise was loud enough to ruin tracks, so it had to go.

JohnDL likes this.
  11. JohnDL

JohnDL

Apr 27, 2019
    West Wales, UK
    Yeah I'm fed up with the fan on a brand new amp. I think it's pretty crap to make an amp with a noisy fan.

12. mesa fifty/fifty, carvin dcm 1000, and stewart world 2.1 all had loud fans and it spooked me away buying another amp with a fan.

13. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    The only time I have returned anything was because of a noisy fan. It was that Ashdown with 8 or 10 bands of EQ instead of tone controls.

Fan made me think of a plane idling on the runway. Nice amp but intolerable fan noise for me.

14. Seashore

Seashore

Jun 2, 2019
    The fan noise on my Traynor head is part of its classic tone.

Heavy Blue and bobyoung53 like this.
  15. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Peavey Mini-Max

16. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Fan too loud?....

Not until I bridged a qsc usa900....
    After an hour or so, the 2nd speed of the fan was as loud as the electric radiator fan on my car:woot:

Murch and agedhorse like this.
  17. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I'm used to it by now but if one bother me I just remember that I've never heard of a blown power transformer in an SVT.

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I'm not sure this is the approved fan mod. I will have to check.

That said, with the fan mod the amp will not operate at 2 ohms (not recommended anyway) and may shut down at 4 ohms with high levels and high ambient temperature.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  19. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Noctua makes a fan in all sizes and applications you'd need in a bass amp/preamp/poweramp.

It's an easy swap.

20. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Indeed, I've got an ABM EVO II (combo) that has an audible fan. But I just start playing, & then I can't hear it over the glorious roar that is an Ashdown!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    javi_bassist likes this.