Did anyone ever buy an amp and find the fan too noisy.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnDL, Jul 28, 2019.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just be aware that this is a very real issue for most DC commutated fans.

Patrice B likes this.
  2. Thanks for the warning.

agedhorse likes this.
  3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Fans tend to get noisy during long bass solos. :)

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Can you blame them?:cool::roflmao:

Patrice B and chadds like this.
  5. hathwaysbassist

hathwaysbassist

Oct 7, 2020
    How?

Patrice B likes this.
  6. You remove the old one and find something with the same specs but with lower noise…

hathwaysbassist likes this.
  7. jcopas

jcopas

Jan 22, 2018
    I really don't have any useful input except that not every place has the same ambient noise level. And there is something about small fans that can really stand out as a background noise source. We returned a brand new refrigerator about a year ago because of how loud the fan was.

I doubt we could have heard the fan if the fridge had been at my in-laws house. They lived in a postage stamp neighborhood in the greater Portland metro area though. And we live outside the city limits of a town of less that 600 people, our closest neighbor is more than a football field away. The difference in ambient noise levels was enough to keep us from being able to sleep down there. They also have trouble sleeping up here because "It's too quiet".

Passinwind and Patrice B like this.
  8. Bartrinsic

Bartrinsic Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2018
    San Diego
    Quilter re-engineered the cooling for the BB802 and it is very quiet now, even when the fans are busy.

9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    That Ashdown with 10 band EQ instead of tone controls. Sent back after a day or two. Sounded like a 747 at cruising altitude.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You kids and your fans...back in my day, we turned up so loud the background noise from the amps drowned out the fan noise, and we liked it!

Neo1 likes this.
  11. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I never had a problem with this and certainly not with a product in the last 20 years. The loudest fan I have ever experienced on an amp I owned is the one in my SWR SM400S. When that thing kicks on I look over my shoulder for a low flying aircraft...although since I work in the aviation industry it's a less disconcerting sound for me than perhaps others. :)

31HZ and JimmyM like this.
  12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sure. But at band practice and especially on stage you never hear it. Which is what I bought an amp for.

hathwaysbassist, Al Kraft and JimmyM like this.
  13. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I avoid using my Quilter BB800 for quiet home practice because of the fan that's always on.
    Other amps have noisier fans but by the time they kick in I would never notice (except maybe between songs).

14. Bartrinsic

Bartrinsic Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2018
    San Diego
    BB802 -- our prayers were answered.

Jefenator likes this.
  15. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I understand all the responses that mention loud playing and not noticing the fan in those situations, but there are other settings in which a bassist might need a silent amp. I repeat myself, but sometimes I play in mixed acoustic/electric settings where you have live mics in the room recording quiet music. True bypass fx pedal clicks ruin recordings like these, as do loud fans in amps. Luckily I have a GK400RB and a Matamp without a fan, but I have learned I can’t use my Ashdown ABM500 for quiet sessions because of the loud fan. Great amp though and would sound perfect with some of those types of sessions otherwise.

PeterPlanet likes this.
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Louder than the PA at my gig? No

17. CryingBass

CryingBass Just a Fool Whose Intentions are Good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    My ThunderFunk 550b has a fan off switch, a plus for recording.

Quiet and powerful fans require whisper quiet motors and blades.
    Then add the cost of amp/computer-controlled speeds, and it adds up.

The PC gaming industry is one-up on us in this respect, imho.

18. When I got my Terror Bass, I really hated how loud the fan was. I even opened one or two threads here about it, whether I could replace it with a “silent” PC aftermarket model or the like. Well, contacted tech support, and Orange sent me a replacement – fan noise is way down, barely noticeable in a room where people are speaking. So, yeah, if a fan seems “too noisy”, it might very well be broken / bad batch.

19. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Central VA, USA
    It was a tough amp to bring into the studio for tracking, because you had to stop when it kicked on.

CaptainWally and Al Kraft like this.
  20. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Booger Guy Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Demeter VTBP-M-800D doesn't have a noisy fan. Or a fan at all :)