Did anyone see Evanescence on the American Music Awards?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I don't really care for them, or follow them. I was working with the TV on, and they were doing "My Immortal." At the end of the song where the rest of the band comes in there was a terrible trainwreck that they could not correct. It seemed to go on until the song ended. At the end, the singer said "wow...."
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    At least you KNOW they weren't lip synching. :p
  3. JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    I saw them play. I heard the singer's comments, but i didn't notice the trainwreck. Maybe that's because I didn't have too high an opinion of them before I watched, so it seemed like how I expected them to sound, I don't know.

4. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    ON the CD they sound nice but live.... .Ehhhhhhhhhh. If anyoine has a video of it I wanna see it. =D
  5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Sounded like one of the guitars was playing a different song than the rest of the band.
  6. No little Ashley-style jig.

Good or bad - YOU decide :-\
  7. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    They play to some pre-sequenced stuff. I'm sure that the main vox and instruments are live, but the drummer has a click and the backing vox are prerecorded.
  8. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Yeah....I saw it it sounded like the strings and the band were in two diffrent keys, or the guitarest was out of tune. But yeah it was nasty. Oh well that's what happens when you bad mouth other bands .(Amy Lee)
  9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Was there some poetic justice going on? I was going to cut her some slack about her off key vocals, but not if she if she is talking about some other band. Who have they been talking badly about?
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    On the cd, that song does not feature the band, it is just a ballad with piano and what-not. They added in the full band for the single, which is what they performed. Something about adding in just for the single, basically tells me its not going to sound good.
  11. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I got this from another Message board. I was all for her being a fellow Arkansan, but I just don't think she is all that great.

EVANESCENCE frontwoman Amy Lee recently spoke to Kerrang! magazine about her band's massive success and the possibility of a solo career at some point down the line. Several excerpts from the interview follow:

Kerrang!: Have you become cynical about your peers?

Amy Lee: "No way, but theres just so many new bands out there and I'm not motivated to see a single damn one, and a lot of the bands worth listening to are old and tired now. VELVET REVOLVER...I haven't seen them play live yet but that album really bores me! Maybe there's one song that's cool, but to me it's just not worth building a supergroup around."

Kerrang!: They've got Slash in it.

Amy Lee: "Yeah, but great celebrities don't make a great band. I don't hate them, but the music just isn't that great."

Kerrang!: Has the industry changed?

Amy Lee: "Definitely. Theres been a lull in the rock industry and the labels are pouring all their money in to rap and hip-hop. At the American VMA's [MTV Video Music Awards] we felt really disrespected and looked over and ignored. You invite us to an award show because youve nominated us and you don't even want to interview me because you're too busy with Beyonce and Usher? It's like, 'Why did i go to the trouble?' We were 20 rows in the back!"

Kerrang!: Is that just a sign of the times?

Amy Lee: "Maybe, but it'll come back around. Every kind of music always has its day, and right now it's rap and hip-hop and that's great. But that's just not what I'm into and obviously it's not my band's scene. I'm just glad the new album hasn't come out this year."

Kerrang!: How is it writing without EVANESCENCE's co-founder [Ben Moody]?

Amy Lee: "I definitely feel like I have something to prove, so there's pressure. Thats okay, though, because I know the truth: that it isn't the case that Ben was the brains behind the operation who let me be the singer. Some people think that and it bothers me, but there's nothing I can say to change people's minds so I'll let the album do that."

Kerrang!: Are your current bandmates equally expendable?

Amy Lee: "It's the opposite. The people in the band came in after the majority of the work on the first album was done, but when Ben left, we had a meeting and we all agreed they should be a part of it — not just session players. That's made it really exciting, because this is a real opportunity for them to make it their own. You love your band so much more when it's your music."

Source: Blabbermouth
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    What happened sounded like the guitar and bass were supposed to be down-tuned for the song, but weren't. Or vise-versa.

The thing that bugs me is those fools couldn't figure it out and just kept bashing. Don't blame here for that - she and the orchestra had been playing happily along (and doing very well) until that point.
  13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm definately not a fan of hers or Evanescence but I don't really see how she was "bashing" anybody. If your talking about her opinions on Velvet Revolver, I actually agree with her. They are all great musicians but that doesn't imply their music is great. I bought the Velvet Revolver album and like her, it bores me for the most part. However, my wife really likes it. :meh:
  14. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    At least the good thing is that she did it with a smile and keep going. I don't know what the aftermath was like backstage. Oh well Sh!% happens.

The only thing I don't like about VR is the vocalist----well im kind of wishewashey on him sometimes i like him but then other times he gets on my nerves.

Is Amy Lee the only origanal member from Evanescence left? I know the guitarest left, and they couldn't afford a full time bass player. I think they even had another drummer come in when they got started.

15. She has a point about VR, the only song I've heard that I like is Slither. I'll probz buy the album and give it a thorough listenin to.