did anyone see "Pimp my Ride"?...(read on)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon223, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Well, i try not to watch Mtv, but i figured that this would be interesting (and it was). This guy had a Daihatsu Hi-Jet (i think thats the name) that was real beat up. Well long story short, they pimped the doo-doo outta that little van. The coolest thing though, was when they showed him that the people at Guitar-Center (wonder how much G-C paid for that advertisement) gave him a free epiphone explorer g****ar and wired in a "pre-amp" (really just a marshall mini-amp) to his stereo system. He played it and it didnt sound half bad with the big ol system he had. And so i wonder.... Could this be done with a bass? It would be a wicked addition to my astrovan i think. I figure it could work with a bass headphone amp or something similar.
    Oughtta be cool...just wondering if anyone else saw this or if anyone had any opinions on it. (I already tried using an inverter with my microbass....didnt work, reeeeeeeeally bad AC current from that thing.)
  2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I heard about it, and I was instantly turned onto the idea. I've heard that Brad Johnson (I believe) did something to the same effect with his Hondo Element. They come with an MP3 input (for something like an iPod) and he modified it somehow to accomodate his (active) bass. He then used the Element's speaker system to play his bass.

I can picture it now--the wifey (no, I'm not married yet, nor do I have any prospects, but bear with me) heads into the mall for a day of shopping. I sit, bass in hand, in my truck for the next 6 hours just practicing away. Talk about some mad chops... :D

Jon...my friend.....there will be an Amperage rating on that inverter. Take a look at it, then take a look at the number of Amps that your Microbass will be drawing......:eek:

I would assume they are DRASTICALLY different....
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I saw that...what a great show. What a totally cool vehicle that guy ended up with!!!

I just bought a Honda Odyssey with the rear entertainment system. It has aux A/V inputs so I suppose I could plug into that!!!

You could always use a bass rockman or even a guitar one, a Bass POD or Bass Vamp or similar and run the headphone jack into one of those cassette adapter things to get into the vehicle's audio system...

I bought a 300 watt inverter so my son can use his PS2 in the van...I'll have to look at the input current rating of my Minx110... I think that accessory DC power is rated up to 10 amps anyway, so I'm really limited to something less than 120 watts...
  4. Yes...i know. It has to do with the wave of the current or something. It even says on the back of the package that it wouldnt work good w/ audio equipment, but i was just checkin to see if i was lucky.
  5. oooh...good idea, ive got the tape thing, i just need to find a headphone amp.
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It will be tight. You are looking at 25-30% efficiency (my Peavey TNT got 30%) so 120W in =~ 36W out.
  7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Oh, the irony.

Neither are known for what could rightly be called "High Quality Products" :bag:
  8. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    I was watching MTV a long time ago (I think it was "Cribs") and it had he-whos-name-must-not-be-spoken on, and he had his car modified so he could plug in his signature Ibanez bass and play through some fancy looking subwoofers.
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Looking at the ratings on the Minx110...rated input power is 75 watts max (120 Vac, 60 Hz).

I'll have to give it a try...