Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did anyone start playing bass when s/he was an old fart ...?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by phatlizard, Sep 22, 2002.

1. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    Okay being 35 is not really that old ... and I dream to learn to play bass since I was 15 (bought my first "Police" Longplayer then) - so finally yesterday I ordered a bass and called a teacher ...
    Well I am afraid I will give it up again ... so how about some encouragement from other old farts out there ...?

Christian
    Germany

2. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Hey I'm 48 and I just started last year (Nov) and everything is going great. Just like wine getting better with age. I'm finally getting a decent bass next month and next I'm looking to get a better to go along with it. Having more fun everyday learning new songs and just jamming. If an old fart like me can do it I know a middle aged fart like you can too. Don't let me down.

3. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks for that one ... and thumbs up! That is the kind of stories I want to read!
    48 years old ... so probably the first 45rpm record you bought was from the Beatles!? You are my new hero!

:cool:

Christian

4. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Now just a minute -- old farts?!?!?!?!?!?

the truth is I am 53 and just started last year learning the bass. Like the post before me I too am looking for a new bass to replace the starter instrument I bought a year ago. I use a lot of play alongs and not really interested in playing with a band but might if the opportunity comes along. Lot of living still ahead of us and a whole lot more behind us but I think the maturity issue makes it easier to learn new things. I really use my bass playing as a stress releiver and we sure need that in our lives don't we? I did buy a bass in the 60's --a KENT hollow-body and a UNIVOX amp but after a month or two it was over but I always knew someday I would return to music and the bass. All my life when I've listened to music that's all I tune my ear to the bass --- when I go to a concert all I watched was the bass player so deep inside I knew I 'd get back to learning and playing the bass.

Never to old to learn ? NEVER!!!!

bcarll

btw-- ever hear of Music Minus One? they were records to play along to that omitted the instrument you were playing so you could play along to the tunes- And yes that was back there in those Beatles years too -- he he!

5. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Old man Moses here. I started this year at age 56.

Played keyboard all my life and wanted a change.

Love the bass. Funny thing is I just seem to "get" the bass. I mean, it's almost a part of me when I play.

Someone once told me that true creativity doesn't kick in until your 60's. So, in four more years I'll be one smokin' bass player.:D

6. Where did all these old farts come from? I think Talkbass might need an "Old Fart" forum for you oldies.

7. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I played bass when I was a teenager but fed up when I couldn't afford a decent bass and then my education, family and career sort of got in the way.

I'd played brass instruments since about the ago of 10 until I was 20, but that got dropped as well.

I'd been wanting to restart for a few years and finally bought myself a cheap Ib@nez this January at the age of 37 and found a great local teacher. She also teachs my 9 year old son as she's one of his school teachers....

Best of all, I'm absolutely loving it now.

My older bro's a drummer for a rock band in Yorkshire UK and so keeps threatening to drag me onstage at one of their gig's.

I'm now looking to upgrade to better gear (but as I'm moving back to the UK shortly it may have to wait).

regards,
    Andy

8. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    This, although an interesting topic, is not really
    General Instruction kinda thing, let's move on down to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
    (who's been playing a long time, but started when he was 12.)

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Good Lord! I don't feel so bad now. I started at the tender age of 31. That was 5 years ago.

10. Prior to playing bass, I played congas and various other percussion instruments for our Praise & Worship music group at church. Our group's leader came to me and said she thought I'd be great at playing bass and would I be interested in trying. I had never thought about it before, but am always intertested in trying new things, so said OK. I'm 53 years old and that was eight months ago that I started playing the bass. And, do you know what? I am doing great. I love the bass. It is so appropriate for my temperament. I started on a borrowed Gibson Ripper and have recently purchased my own, a 5-string. Have had no problems changing from the 4-string to the 5-er. Oh, by the way, I don't consider myself anywhere near to being old.

11. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    My wife had heard me say that I would like to learn to play Bass for years. She found a bass teacher who would trade for baby sitting for teaching Bass. That was 2.5 years ago. I had absolutly no musical experience (other than listening to all kinks of music). It is not easy for me and even after 2.5 years I can only play a couple dozen tunes. The lessons ended four months ago and practicing is a very part-time endeaver. As frustrating as it is, I'll never stop. I love it.

I am 55.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I started playing Double Bass at age 35. It's never too late.

13. This reply is to Blux.
    Hey Blux, I'm glad to see that you said you'll never stop. I didn't mention it in my post just ahead of yours, but even though I've really enjoyed playing the bass, it's been frustrating for me at times too. I think that's normal though, to feel some frustration when we stretch and learn. Although I seem to have progressed greatly with my ability to play in such a short period of time, I believe it's less of my own talent and more due to playing with a group on a consistent basis whose members have been very patient and encouraging during the learning curve. You didn't mention if you have been playing with others or just practicing on your own. If not with others, perhaps your previous bass instructor knows of a group of guys to jam with. Ask at the local music stores too. Shortly after I started taking bass lessons, my instructor lined me up with a group that practiced Thursdays evenings. I would sit in with them, unplugged at first, just playing along by feel, following along with their bass player. No one could hear me, so I wasn't self conscious. They eventually asked me to plug in and play with them. It was a bit intimidating at first, but hey, I found I could play. I only sat in with them for several sessions, but it was a great learning tool. I encourage you to keep on and to not quit. Blessings to you!!

14. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    OOOOOPS ... first day on the forum and I am already in trouble with the thread-police!
    Well I had something in mind when I posted it on General Instruction because I thought it has a lot to do with this issue! It is about motivation or sticking with something - in this case with a teacher - if you are 10 years older like the guy who shows you how it is done!

I hope it is okay in these forums to follow my own instincts about where is a good place to discuss things!

Christian

15. jerryoram

jerryoram

Feb 7, 2001
    started playing (learning)at the age of 46 have enjoyed bass most of my life now can`t get enough,finding myself listening to all styles instead of being fixed on one style.I guess age does cause one to listen more in a different way .

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Jerry.

You pressed "start a new thread" instead of pressing "post reply". Hope it wasn't an age-related snafu.;)

Here, lemme merge this with the rest of the thread.

17. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    45 here. Been playing a grand total of 3 months, but played guitar and violin for many many years prior to that. The bass definitely takes first place as the most fun of all of them however. My only regret is that I waited so long to try it out. Like an earlier post, I started it because there was a sudden need in our church praise band. My little starter Ibanez is being replaced this week by a Fender American P. I can't frigging wait either!!

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was 27. Around here, that's an old fart. (That was 27 years ago ... now I'm a REALLY old faht.).)

19. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

No big deal, I just thought that you would get more responses down here. Guess I was right.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

20. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Started at 47 but now I'm really old at 50.
    Doc