1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did anyone use an acoustic bass as their first bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Qneaton, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Qneaton

Qneaton

Jun 27, 2012
    Just wonder wich would be easier to learn first or if they would be just as easy

2. I did, but wouldnt say it made me 'better', just more well rounded?

An ABG is a different animal than an electric, higher action usually, huge body that forces you to attack differently, brass strings. Played with a pic primarily to coax good volume out of it.

I put half rounds on mine to reduce finger noise and amplified, it is a sweet tone. But playing on an electric is way easier in many ways. You still learn the fretboard either way and that is quite important when starting out.

Maybe it helped me get better sooner becasue it was more ergonomic when I eventually did get an electric bass and played it more often. :confused:

3. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    My first was an Ibanez EWB10. I played it for about 10 months then started purchasing electric basses. Number ten is on the way. The EWB has a very large neck and jumbo frets and heavy strings. I thought the phrase “I’ve got blisters on my fingers” was the norm. The way the body sits it puts the neck way out to the left. Then I started to play on electric and found my speed increased and my hands did not cramp up, also moving from medium frets to no frets made it even easier. So to sum it up I started out with a car with manual steering and brakes and moved to full power.

4. nodisco

nodisco

Dec 9, 2007
    Estonia
    My fist bass was semi-acoustic Samick HFB. Still own it and play it sometimes at home. I grew out of it quickly and realised that electric ones are right for me.
    And I wouldnt say it made me better, just gained little awareness about my tastes.