Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did anyone watch the 'Party at the Palace'?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jun 4, 2002.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just wondering if anyone else out there watched last night's rock/pop concert in the grounds of Buckingham Palace as part of the Queen's Golden Jubilee Celebrations?

A certain Pino Palladino was occupying the bass chair in the backing group, and Phil Collins was on the drums!

Overall, it was a great show, but it got off to a bit of a dodgy start - I thought the concert was supposed to take us through fifty years of the best British music, but the concert started with Ricky Martin singing a medley of his hits (over a backing tape!)

We got a bunch of teen-pop boy/girl groups & acts butchering some Motown songs, although Phil Collins did get out from behind the drums to do 'You Can't Hurry Love'.

It got a bit better with Queen. Roger Taylor sang 'Radio GaGa'; they rolled out awful "pop idol" Will Young to sing 'We Are The Champions', and Brian May sang 'We Will Rock You'. The cast of the new Queen musical then came on stage to do 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (very close to the recorded version!).

Cliff Richard and Tom Jones both did a couple of their hits (each were joined by a girl/boy band).

Shirley Bassey was wheeled out to sing 'Goldfinger'.

Things really picked up when Ozzy Osbourne and Tony Iommi came on to do 'Paranoid', and got a surprisingly strong response from the crowd. Ozzy was on good form.

The genius Brian Wilson did a bunch of stuff with his regular touring band, joined by Eric Clapton and later, The Corrs.

Steve Winwood did 'Gimme Some Loving'; Joe Cocker did 'With A Little Help From My Friends'; Rod Stewart did 'Handbags and Gladrags', and Ray Davies did 'Lola'.

The big finale was Paul McCartney. He did 'Blackbird', 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (with Eric Clapton), 'Sgt. Pepper...', 'All You Need Is Love' (the anthem of this Jubilee weekend), and 'Hey Jude'.

Again, it was a great concert. The only problems were the occasional poor sound mixes (vocals too low) and the often poor fillers between musical acts by various comedians/entertainers (Ben Elton, Lenny Henry, Kermit the Frog & Ruby Wax (awful), and Dame Edna (the only funny person there)).

2. It's not airing here in the States until Sunday night, but it's in my plans to catch it. Sounds like it was pretty good over all.

Lisa

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw it and was pleasantly suprised - some great songs - ah nostalgia! And as you say great bass and drums - how can we stop Phil Collins singing and convince him to stay behind the drum kit!! ;)

The Beach Boys stuff was great as well - nice Gold Lakland bass from their bass player - good touch for the Gold Jubilee! But didn't Brian Wilson look like a puppet on strings!! Who's working him?

Is Pino Paladino now bass session player "by Royal Appointment"!!??

Great to have on your CV, I imagine - played for the Queen at Buckingham Palace!

4. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    :D Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking, when the show started I was wondering who was playing the drums 'cos they sounded so good...I nearly fell off the chair when I saw it was Phil Collins:eek:, now I knew he was a drummer I just didnt realise how damn good he is.

The queen slot was good but where the hell was John Deacon? instead we had some long haired dude (Neil Murray?) OVERPLAYING radio gaga (sloppy as hell as well). What was the cast of starlight express and cats doing on stage with queen?;)

I dont think he planned that cos he was playing the same one when I saw him in Dublin a few months ago...he's a wicked wicked player as well (does some great groovy slapping on Pet Sounds...check out the live at the roxy cd)

HA HA, yeah he did look a bit 'confused' allright.
    (Mind you his female backing singer Taylor something is one fine looking woman, Andrea Corr can feck off back to Dundalk on the tractor as far as I'm concerned).

Yeah he does seem to do a lot of these gigs (along with the slightly insane ray cooper) although watching him grinning from ear to ear while pumping out Jamersons parts during the Motown medley it seems like he enjoys it(lucky beggar).

I never thought I'd live to see the day when Ozzy and Tony Iomi(sp) would be bashing out 'Paranoid' in front of the Queen while being backed by Phil Collins......

:eek: :D

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I thought Brian Wilson was the best part of the concert. Talk about a tight group! They had the harmonies and various instrumental layers down to a touch. There's a couple of Brian Wilson UK dates very soon (this month I think). I would have liked to have seen him at Birmingham Symphony Hall, but maybe not at £50 a ticket! :eek:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He's playing in Brighton this week as well, but a lot of people I know have said they think the prices are a rip-off - I think it was minimum of £50 plus booking fee!!